Tips/Advice on the ordering process. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips/Advice on the ordering process.

nick3941sd

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I've been lurking this forum for a bit as I will be getting ready to get into a new vehicle this fall as me lease expires on my current car (G37). The explorer is pretty much #1 on my list. I've always liked the looks of the current generation Ex but it wasn’t until after I rented a Taurus Limited that I got a serious interest. I rented the Taurus and drove from western NY to Connecticut to pick up my new bike. I was extremely impressed with the ride and interior, and actually like interior over my Infiniti. I even went to a Ford dealer shortly after to test drive and see if I had any realistic options for them to get me out of my lease, which I didn't.

What trim and options I am thinking are:
XLT (white or silver)
201a
Appearance Pkg
Moon Roof
Bumper Protector
Cargo Area Protector
Splash Guards
Trailer Pkg

Also is remote start still an option for the '15 XLT? I wasn’t able to add it like I could when building the '14s online.

But after this long intro my real reason for the post is does anyone have any advice on ordering vehicles?
Should I visit multiple Ford dealers?
Do we work out pricing now or when the vehicle arrives?
Are deposits required?
Are you committing once the order is submitted?
Is building with the dealer basically the as building on Fords web site?
If I decide to lease again, can you order a vehicle to lease?

From reading over this section it appears the norm is 6-8 weeks. Sometimes more or less. Would it be possible to order now/soon and request the delivery time to be close to my current lease end date?

When I began looking I was deadset on the Sport. But after considering my needs and having a bike and wave runner for "fun" I figured the XLT with these packages and options will cover my needs. SLIGHTLY better MPG's and the difference in selling price will be easier on the wallet as well.

Well sorry for the long post and tons of questions. And in advance thanks for the responses!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Nick,

I see you are from Buffalo, somewhat close to me. I strongly recommend Orleans Ford in Medina. I purchased my 2004 F250 from them and ordered my new 2015 from them as well. I guess you just need to find a dealer you feel comfortable with. I have been to a number of dealers in western NY looking for a 2014 and have had unpleasant experiences. One had actually called my insurance company and switched my trade-in for a 2014 Explorer I never even purchased. Didn't realize I was driving an uninsured vehicle until I received the new ID cards in the mail.

Some one may correct me but I have found that when special ordering a 2015 vehicle now you really don't have much bargaining power at this time of year. I saw a post where someone mentioned the Ford X Plan. I found out my company is on the list to get this discount. No hassle pricing :). Check with your HR department to find out if they are part of the program.

You will work out the pricing before delivery and you do sign papers to commit to buying it. Whether you can walk away after... I don't know. I did not leave a deposit but I also financed through Ford Credit. Right now they have the lowest rates I can find. Build your vehicle on the Ford web site and print it out. They will create an order from it. This way you will not forget anything :).

Hope this helps.

hi,

Deposit- some will require a deposit for obvious reasons
1-if you choose to walk away from this unit, it is still in the inventory and they have to make arrangements to move
2-this will ensure you get what you want
3-tell them the amount you want to leave- 500.00 and if they want a 1000 make sure you read the fine print, otherwise tell them thanks and leave
4-you should work out the price prior or as close to the paying price - IN WRITTING- do not leave the dealer on the sole basis of "you said it was this"
5-visit as many as you want, some dealers will work more on volume sales vs single
6-building on the site is simaliar but dealer will tell you more of the fees vs site
7-if you decide to change to a lease, the deposit that was left in theory should transfer to a down payment on the lease.

if the x plan does not apply to you, go to truecar.com- the price will be competitive with the x plan, however, YOU MUST take delivery of what is on the dealer lot. the good thing and this is in your favor, truecar will give you 3-5 multiple dealers so the odds you of you finding your color and options can tend to your favor

But after this long intro my real reason for the post is does anyone have any advice on ordering vehicles?
Should I visit multiple Ford dealers?
Do we work out pricing now or when the vehicle arrives?
Are deposits required?
Are you committing once the order is submitted?
Is building with the dealer basically the as building on Fords web site?
If I decide to lease again, can you order a vehicle to lease?

Hi Nick,

I see you are from Buffalo, somewhat close to me. I strongly recommend Orleans Ford in Medina.

Yep I am familiar with them. Never done business there but Ill make sure that'll be one of the places I stop by.
I checked TrueCar and it shows Dave Smith and Basil are Ford TrueCar dealers in the area. Dave Smith doesn't have many sales via TrueCar but they listed Basil at 220+ sales through TrueCar. Within the next few weeks on my days off I'm going to stop into a few dealers every week and narrow down my options. I may even check a few Rochester dealers since I've had good luck out there in the past. Roc dealers seem way more willing to discuss over the phone than dealers here in WNY.

Some one may correct me but I have found that when special ordering a 2015vehicle now you really don't have much bargaining power at this time of year.

That appears to be correct. On fords website right now it looks like the incentives are not as attractive as the 2014's. But Im sure in a few months the incentives will get better.

Thanks for the response!

I think the appearance package requires starting with 202A but at $1,195 sticker, it's a way better value than $1,195 just for the polished aluminum rims.

I think the appearance package requires starting with 202A but at $1,195 sticker, it's a way better value than $1,195 just for the polished aluminum rims.

Correct. 202A is what I meant to enter. :thumbsup:

Back