Tire comparison: Interco's TrXuS MT beats Goodyear's MT/R [News at 11] | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire comparison: Interco's TrXuS MT beats Goodyear's MT/R [News at 11]

Ken%27s+Tomb+Raider+%23815.jpg

On December 30th, I made the switch from Goodyear to Interco. Sure, the Interco takes more weights to balance, and the tread compound is softer than the MT/R, but, how about a tread that does not chip on a day-long trip that typically chips the hell out of the MT/R and BFG AT/KO?

As far as the BFG AT goes. I wanted a tire that lasted long enough to last two seasons (24-26 months). My set of TSL-SXs barely lasted 1 1/2 years. A waste of money as far as I'm concerned. The BFG lasted a total of 2 years before the tread was so badly chewed up by rocks that I had to get rid of two tires and run the other two for 6 additional months - getting hardly my money's worth for an All-Terrain.:mad: BOOO!

Goodyear's MT/R lasted 7,800 mi. on my Jeep before selling them to another Jeeper. The tread after just 4 trips offroad was becoming badly chewed up with portions of tread blocks missing, causing the tire to wear irregularly and ride loud on the pavement. Irregular wear is the leading cause of poor tire mileage on pavement.

Interco's TrXuS MT tires have been on my Rubicon for about 2,000 mi. now with absolutely no complaints. The handling on wet pavement surpasses that of the MT/R. They have a nice deep growl on the pavement at 75-80 m.p.h., and they envelope rocks with total ease at 15 p.s.i. - just like a BFG AT/KO!

Now, the clincher is...These tires do not chip on rocks like the BFG and the MT/R. I know what salespeople tell you, and personally, they are feeding us a lie when they say the MT/R is a "Rockcrawlers tire that will not chip." This is not what I have experienced, and I'm not going to fall for this line ever again. Live and learn...and save yer money. The TrXuS MT costs less than all of the other tires! :D

-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Thats why I switched to the POWDER. far superior balance if you aske me, no wieghts.
Jamie, How much for the powder? I was thinking about purchasing a lifetime balance/rotation for the TrXuS', but I'd rather save my time and money and just buy this powder for keeping the tires balanced. Plus, I won't be screwing around getting the tires rebalanced after every run...

-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ken the powder is called Equal
I was skeptical at first but after a few of my friends used it I was sold on it.

Like I said I had a tire guy in CO who did all my tires, he is the one who turned us on to Equal, I let my friends with regualr sized tires be my guinnea pig :)
I know you can get it at many truck stops, truck tire places (semi) and possibly online. It takes 1 oz to balance a 33" tire, I used 1.5 ounces.

I used to have a ton of weights stuck on my wheels, and I used to static balance my own tires using my friends equipment. The equal is superior, no more weights, continual balance, I am sold. This means if you chunk the treads or pick up some mud the equal will compensate, so you are always balanced.

The ONLY drawback to equal that I have found is you are not supossed to allow water into the air supply, as you know thats very difficult to do when you are always airing up and down. I have not had a problem yet, and I use gas station air compressors as well as my ARB.

I will be getting a box of Equal from my tire buddy in CO when I buy my new tires.

So far I love the TRXUS M/Ts on my B2. Very good grip, no matter what the weather, so far and not that much louder than my old Grabber M/Ts were. Around here guys started using them last year for snow plow trucks. I've talked to a few and they love them, best tire they ever put on they all say.

it took almost 5oz to balance my 33's but i love it.. equal = works .. better than the unbranded stuff i used to get.

I must say the Dick Cepek Fun Country II's I have in 33x12.50 are the best performing tire I have ever run, on and for most off road.

PLus they were FAR cheaper then the TRXUS, MTR, or any other name brand off road monster.

I have 35" MTR's and love them too, but thats because I bought them used and didnt pay full price

410Fortune said:
PLus they were FAR cheaper then the TRXUS, MTR, or any other name brand off road monster.

I like those tires too, where did you get them? Most places i've found sell them for 170 to 180 & the Trxus Mt's are about 130-140...

I paid $120 ea for them when they first hit the shelves. PLace is called Performance Wheel and Tire here in CO

Wow, old thread..........

October of '04, I put 31" Trxus m/t's on my wifes 94 Bronco. She absolutely hates driving in the snow to the point of being scared. When the first snow hit that year, she was totally amazed at how well the vehicle handled the snow/ice. Prior tires on there were Goodyear RTS & BFG A/T KO. While the BFG's did decent, there was no comparison to the Trxus in those conditions.

They ride very good on the highway. If I have one complaint about them, it's.........driving in parking very slow, 5 mph or less, I can feel the lugs on the tires but after that, I don't notice them.

I'm very happy with the Trxus m/t's. They won't last as long as BFG's though. I'm glad I bought them as a tire/wheel package. For summer, I run the stock wheels w/BFG's. This way, I can get several winters out of a set. I didn't buy them for off road use though as the Bronco is the "family vehicle".

I've been contimplating buying a set for my Ranger for street use as the TSL's (for obvious reasons) suck azz on the street.

I like 'em, my wife likes 'em, I'll stick with them. :D ;)

Warrlord, How loud are they on the highway?

Mac

Yeah I got a set of 33X12.5 Trxxus MTRs on my rig. Been running them for over a year. They are fairly quiet and run decently. I like em so far.

cmacclel said:
Warrlord, How loud are they on the highway?

Mac

I can barely hear them. When I ran BFG M/T's on my Ranger long ago, they were louder than these are.

Back