Tire comparison: Interco's TrXuS MT beats Goodyear's MT/R [News at 11] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire comparison: Interco's TrXuS MT beats Goodyear's MT/R [News at 11]

Ken%27s+Tomb+Raider+%23815.jpg

On December 30th, I made the switch from Goodyear to Interco. Sure, the Interco takes more weights to balance, and the tread compound is softer than the MT/R, but, how about a tread that does not chip on a day-long trip that typically chips the hell out of the MT/R and BFG AT/KO?

As far as the BFG AT goes. I wanted a tire that lasted long enough to last two seasons (24-26 months). My set of TSL-SXs barely lasted 1 1/2 years. A waste of money as far as I'm concerned. The BFG lasted a total of 2 years before the tread was so badly chewed up by rocks that I had to get rid of two tires and run the other two for 6 additional months - getting hardly my money's worth for an All-Terrain.:mad: BOOO!

Goodyear's MT/R lasted 7,800 mi. on my Jeep before selling them to another Jeeper. The tread after just 4 trips offroad was becoming badly chewed up with portions of tread blocks missing, causing the tire to wear irregularly and ride loud on the pavement. Irregular wear is the leading cause of poor tire mileage on pavement.

Interco's TrXuS MT tires have been on my Rubicon for about 2,000 mi. now with absolutely no complaints. The handling on wet pavement surpasses that of the MT/R. They have a nice deep growl on the pavement at 75-80 m.p.h., and they envelope rocks with total ease at 15 p.s.i. - just like a BFG AT/KO!

Now, the clincher is...These tires do not chip on rocks like the BFG and the MT/R. I know what salespeople tell you, and personally, they are feeding us a lie when they say the MT/R is a "Rockcrawlers tire that will not chip." This is not what I have experienced, and I'm not going to fall for this line ever again. Live and learn...and save yer money. The TrXuS MT costs less than all of the other tires! :D

-Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pic no worky.

The tire costs less, because it doesnt last as long. :D

My BFG was supposed to last 4-5 years - combined DD and trail use. I got 2 1/2 measly years from a set of tires that I bought on Ebay with only 200 mi. on them. What gives?

-Ken

Tire life is usually measured in mileage, not years. ;)

Originally posted by RangerX
Tire life is usually measured in mileage, not years. ;)
If I drive 5 mi. to work each way, and about 300 mi. on weekends, then, an All-Terrain tire should last me over 2 years given proper alignment and rotation. The BFGs didn't give me the mileage that I had expected, so I felt jipped.

-Ken

That's it!
I'm sold on the trxus MTs.
They're a good price and now since Ken said they're pretty good, i'm going to buy a set.
Thanks for the review!

They got real good reviews in the latest Peterson's Off Road, or 4x4 or whatever magazine.
It was a 5 way test - Trxus, BFG Mud, MTR, TSL, MT Baha Claw.

I had them....31X10.5 15 and had to replace them after 10,000 miles. The lugs along the sides started peeling off completely. I had to send a letter to interco and they said they would replace them free. I didn't want the same ones, so I got the BFG mud terrains. I rotated them every 3000 miles and they became worn into an egg shape and shook my steering wheel badly. The started off great, but ended badly. Oh well.

egg shape? due to over or underinflation possibly?

if you wear out both sets of tires that fast dont you thin mabey your front end is messed up?:rolleyes:

No, my front end wasn't messed up either. I had it the entire front end replaced and fully aligned before I got these tires. The tires were inflated to 33-35 psi all the time. It was just the uneven wear that caused them to disform into what I considered egg shaped where it wasn't perfectly round, but slightly out of round. It just made the wheel shake when at high speeds and when slowing down.

Oh yeah, and it wasn't both sets that wore like that, only the TrXus tires. The BFG's were flawless.

I just ordered my 34-12.5-15 Truxs tires last friday and I will have them on this weekend :D I am also going to Moab the 21st of Feb so I'll give you guys a Moab traction report ;) I have BFG mt's now and love them but I want a more serious tire off road so.....

Originally posted by terdrocket
They got real good reviews in the latest Peterson's Off Road, or 4x4 or whatever magazine.
It was a 5 way test - Trxus, BFG Mud, MTR, TSL, MT Baha Claw.
What month is the issue? Can I still get a copy?

-Ken

I think it's this month. I was looking at it the other day at Borders.

So, whaddidya think about the different treads? Were any considered way better than the other?

-Ken

They look good.
I just bought some 35s, i'm getting them wednesday!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I just got my 34-12.5-15's on saturday and put 300 miles them the first day. I love these tires :D I checked them next to my buddies new BFG 35's and these are about 1/4" taller ;) I went on a short snow wheeling trip and they seemed to work great in about 12" of snow. Here is a pic of them on my X at 4 wheel parts in denver.

Attachments

• ja17^001.jpg
    ja17^001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,084

Back