Tire help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire help?

Grimm119484

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 sport trac
Hey guys been looking around these forums alot since I got my 05 sport trac. I was wondering after using a 3 inch body lift and using a 3 inch add a leaf and torsion key lift creating a total of 6 inches of lift will I be able to stuff some 35s in there without having to trim!!?!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will still have to trim most likely. hit up a member by the name of offtrac. he runs 35's with a similar lift to what you described.

Torsion keys will just max out the travel and make it ride hard an hard to align. Sport Tracs are sprung-under in the rear and therefore add-a-leafs won't lift it much.

Just do the bodylift, torsion twist, and Warrior rear shackles and run 33's.

IF your Trac is a 2wd you can do the bodylift, use Ranger Edge 2wd lift spindles and brake rotors, a sprung-over conversion in the rear, and run 35's or even 37's.

Hugh has a body lift, TT, add a leaf's and running 35's. Check out his rig.

Like this?
IMG_3500.jpg

You can see what I have done in my registry, linked in my signature. I haven't updated the last part where I removed the shackles and added an add-a-leaf.

Are you 2wd or 4wd? Don't go over 2" twist on the torsion bars if 4wd. Either way, don't waste money on aftermarket keys. The stock keys are adjustable.

Don't get lifted shackles. Do some research on them if you need other opinions.

You will have to cut to fit 35s, no way around it. None of mine has been cosmetic, yet, but I still occasionally find more places that need a little more trimmed.

Also, read this thread from page 1 to the end.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231158

Thanks for the replies! I'm gonna be doing the 3 inch torsion key lift on top of the add a leaf , how hard is the body to install? A shop was trying to tell me they wanna charge 595 to do the body? That sounds kinda crazy! For that price I'd spend my Saturday with some friends! Btw, my truck is a 2wd drive ! Off trac how exactly did you have to do the trimming inside the wheel well? Do you know of a link or pictures to show me what you had to do? I've never really done any trimming before! Also is it absolutely necessary for me to change the gear ratio?

If you're running 3.73s and you want to run 35" tires you'll want to regear but from what I've read 4.10s (and hopefully Hugh will chime in on this) are enough for 35s if you aren't trying to drive like crazy.

$600 for the install isn't that bad. It is time consuming but not very difficult. Plan for a Saturday and Sunday, though, if you do it yourself.

2wd can go 3" lift on the torsion bars. I'd imagine it would be really stiff at 3", though. You can also do lift spindles on a 2wd and keep the torsion bars stock. More money, though.

As for the trimming, there's a few threads around. I showed the trimming I did in my thread about "35s installed" or something like that. Doesn't really show the process, though. Pretty much, you'll get the tires on there and it'll be obvious what needs to go. Once you make the first cut, it gets easier. I just kept cutting, taking it where we're digging a pond, finding rub and taking note, then going back and cutting more.

If you have 4.10s, you can get by. It's not an S2000 and you just have to understand that. If 3.73s, you won't be moving without a heavy foot. I plan to go down to 4.88s but the gearing isn't so bad that it affects the way I drive. I drive my truck like...a truck. It ain't meant to be fast. My brother-in-law had 4.10s on 37" military Hummer tires with his JK. That sucked, but was bearable.

Yet another question....

So I'm finally working on getting tires and wheels. I've decided on 15X8 MB Wheels TKO's. I also wanted the 35" BFG KM2s. Who knew there'd be a nationwide backorder that won't allow me to get those tires for at least a month and a half? I was hoping that all of you could chime in on mud tires. I'm looking for 35X12.5X15. Thanks!

I also wanted the 35" BFG KM2s. Who knew there'd be a nationwide backorder that won't allow me to get those tires for at least a month and a half?

Because they're that awesome. Just put yourself on that list.

Haha I'll take it that you love yours? For some reason BFG stopped production for a month or 2 and they won't start back up for another week.

Interesting. Yeah, I like them. Although, to be honest, my next set will probably be Treadwrights.

How's the tread wear on the KM2s?

Decent, if you have the alignment right. I was an idiot and put these on at the same time I changed my rack and pinion. I was pretty confident that the alignment I did myself was dead on since it was supposed to be (in my mind) and the Trac didn't pull one way or another. Well, 3k miles later my front passenger side tire was showing excessive wear on the outer edge. Not extreme but noticeable. I kicked myself, went and got an alignment and rotated in my spare in place of the oddly worn one. The tire isn't ruined, luckily.

I was running 40 psi up to that point because I was driving it 100 mile highway round trips twice a week. I haven't done that but a couple times since and have put another 1,000 miles on them at 32 psi all around. They aren't noticeably wearing but I do only have 4,000 miles on them.

These tires allow me to use 4wd a good bit less than when I had the ATs. It's my first set of MTs, so I can't honestly judge them in comparison to another MT. I'm impressed, though.

I feel like BFG is a bandwagon company... I like the look and reviews of the Duratracs better. I was thumbing thru a 4Wheeler magazine the other day at work and they did 40 tire reviews and the Duratrac got high marks for mud, ice, rain, snow, and road. I think on a 5 point scale everything was 5, road was 4 because of slight noise, and ice was 4 as well.

I'm inclined to agree but the KM2s are definitely harder compound than other MT tires so if taken care of, they'll last longer. Plus the duratracs don't come in 35s because they were my other choice. Plus reviews for the KM2s (I only really look at the ones with more than 10,000 miles) are all better than most reviews for other major MT tires. I just didnt want to miss any other good tires that are out there just because I've never heard of them.

I feel like BFG is a bandwagon company...

Yeah, BFG and Michelin are pretty new to the scene. :rolleyes:

Besides, he asked about mud terrains. The Duratracs are not mud terrains.

Btw, these tires do have over 10k on them. I bought them used off of my brother-in-law.

Not sure how many miles he had on them but he had them for about a year and he put nearly 100k miles on his Jeep in 3 years. He also truly wheeled his JK...I mean seriously wheeled it.

Like this kind of wheeled it:

6212_624532884059_12813072_36113561_7784481_n.jpg

He swears by KM2s as do all his wheeling buddies after he turned them onto them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, BFG and Michelin are pretty new to the scene. :rolleyes:

Besides, he asked about mud terrains. The Duratracs are not mud terrains.

Not saying they havent been... just saying I always see people shouting the praises of BFGs and I look at the treads and dont see anything spectacular. I don't own them so I can't really talk. My dads Chevy has 35" BFGs right now and he seems to like them...

and if Duratracs arent mud terrain what the heck are they? definitely not AT or Trail. Not snow or Ice.

EDIT:

Found this thread on a JK forum a while back... Im still looking for new tires to and have pretty much settled on Duratracs. This was one of the threads I saw tho.

http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-tech-2/duratrac-vs-bfg-km2-115452/

Back