Tire Issues

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
2003 XLT V6 4x4

On my third set of tires in the 40k miles that I've owned the vehicle. It seems I can only get, if I'm lucky, 15-18k out of a set of tires.

I've recently rebuilt the front end (UCA's, struts, BJ's, sway bar links, tie rods). I also had it aligned yet again after changing out the above. Still, the tires wear!

It's like the vehicle is too heavy or something and just wears the tires away. I am in no way a "maniac" driver, cornering at high speeds, jackrabbit takeoffs, etc. I just can't figure this out!

Continental - 18k
Pirelli Scorpion - 15k
Goodyear on now with about 7k and they're getting thin....no way will make the 55k rating...

Anyone else have tire wear problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad you aren't a [MENTION=62]Maniak[/MENTION], got one of them here already.

These cars are heavy. 1k more than the 1st and maybe 2nd gens.

Are they wearing evenly? Or to one side?

Try a harder rubber tire like a Michelin LTX M/S2.
http://m.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/ltx-m-s2.html

I've seen them with 150k on them.

4, they seem to be wearing evenly. It just gets to me that I can only get HALF of the stated treadwear life out of a set.

While I got you here, any idea the size of the rear banjo bolts on the single piston calipers? I need to change out my calipers but would like to have some extra banjo bolts on hand in case I strip the **** out of the rusted current installed bolt.

I've never gotten more than 35k out of a set of tires, including the stock tires. Always rotated, always aligned, so no reason for low tire life. Wear has always been even across the tire.

I've had stock BFG, Yokohama, Cooper CTS (2 sets, great tire for Exp) and now Pathfinder from Discount Tire. I hope to get at least 40 out of the Pathfinder tires, since it is supposed to be a more durable AT tire.

Glad you aren't a [MENTION=62]Maniak[/MENTION], got one of them here already.

These cars are heavy. 1k more than the 1st and maybe 2nd gens.

Are they wearing evenly? Or to one side?

Try a harder rubber tire like a Michelin LTX M/S2.
http://m.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/ltx-m-s2.html

I've seen them with 150k on them.

Excellent tires and I'm on my second set. Once I get out of this God-forsaken state I should easily get 50-55k out of them.

While I got you here, any idea the size of the rear banjo bolts on the single piston calipers? I need to change out my calipers but would like to have some extra banjo bolts on hand in case I strip the **** out of the rusted current installed bolt.

I don't, but just go to a parts store and check out a reman'd caliper. Same store should be able to get the banjo bolt too.

My guess, 3/8-24. This is the Dorman version at NAPA (675-1565)
http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsDetail.aspx?k=NDP6751565_0494101076

But they'll have your standard version as well.

I've never gotten more than 35k out of a set of tires, including the stock tires. Always rotated, always aligned, so no reason for low tire life. Wear has always been even across the tire.

I've had stock BFG, Yokohama, Cooper CTS (2 sets, great tire for Exp) and now Pathfinder from Discount Tire. I hope to get at least 40 out of the Pathfinder tires, since it is supposed to be a more durable AT tire.

Not sure I've ever quoted myself, but I wanted to follow up on this post, since I'm getting ready to put a new set of tires on my Explorer.

I got the Pathfinders in May 2015 at 168k and I now have 210k, so 42k of mileage out of the tires. If I didn't drive so many miles on the Godforsaken I-10 in the middle of dust hell, I would keep them on for at least another 10k miles, as they still have decent tread left. I can say these Pathfinders have worn better than any tire I've ever had on this truck.

Having said that, I'm going to get the Cooper Discoverer SRX, since they have replaced the CTS, which was my favorite tire on my Explorer. The reason is simply highway tire noise. The Pathfinders actually aren't bad, but they are noisier than the Cooper CTS for sure. Since I'm putting so many highway miles on this thing, I'm opting for quietness over treadlife and snow/ice performance (don't need it in AZ).

If I ever change jobs and only have to drive in town, other than to go fishing and camping, the Pathfinder is my tire without question given it's low price point. It also handles extremely well on dirt roads when I go camping/fishing and in snow and ice, which I found out last year in an unexpected blizzard out of state. Other than highway noise, the Pathfinder is an excellent tire for the Explorer.

I'll report back on the Cooper Discoverer SRX after I get them put on next week and make a road trip, since it's only been out a short while and I haven't seen anyone talking about it yet. I'm hoping it's as good as it's predecessor, the Discoverer CTS.

Not sure I've ever quoted myself, but I wanted to follow up on this post, since I'm getting ready to put a new set of tires on my Explorer.

I got the Pathfinders in May 2015 at 168k and I now have 210k, so 42k of mileage out of the tires. If I didn't drive so many miles on the Godforsaken I-10 in the middle of dust hell, I would keep them on for at least another 10k miles, as they still have decent tread left. I can say these Pathfinders have worn better than any tire I've ever had on this truck.

Having said that, I'm going to get the Cooper Discoverer SRX, since they have replaced the CTS, which was my favorite tire on my Explorer. The reason is simply highway tire noise. The Pathfinders actually aren't bad, but they are noisier than the Cooper CTS for sure. Since I'm putting so many highway miles on this thing, I'm opting for quietness over treadlife and snow/ice performance (don't need it in AZ).

If I ever change jobs and only have to drive in town, other than to go fishing and camping, the Pathfinder is my tire without question given it's low price point. It also handles extremely well on dirt roads when I go camping/fishing and in snow and ice, which I found out last year in an unexpected blizzard out of state. Other than highway noise, the Pathfinder is an excellent tire for the Explorer.

I'll report back on the Cooper Discoverer SRX after I get them put on next week and make a road trip, since it's only been out a short while and I haven't seen anyone talking about it yet. I'm hoping it's as good as it's predecessor, the Discoverer CTS.

Got these here, just happened to be on it when I bought it.

nn5qia.jpg

I'm probably going to go with Goodyear Wranger when it's time for new ones.

I have 41k on my Cooper discoverer AT/3's and it looks like they will go another 30k. I know this is a year old but if your tires don't make it to the manufacturers rating you should be able to file a claim with them and get a prorated refund for the miles you didn't get out of them. I think usually you have to have proof of alignment and such like the OP said he got done.

I'm running my Pathfinders at 36-38 all around at the recommendation of the tire guy at Discount that had these on his Explorer. The tires have worn very well and evenly.

I'm getting the Discoverer SRX this afternoon.

Back