tire mobility kit | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire mobility kit

The knob needs to be pushed down and turned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Word of advice follow the manual on how to store it underneath the seat. For some reason mine was standing up and when I took it in for a sync/mft update. The dealer or I should say tech moved my seat down on it and bent my seat rail after a month and a half of waiting for not one but two emergency replacements parts....so know I finally got it back and in working order.. but I'm not 100% it is back to 100% like when I first got it from my dealer. Just make sure it is laying down and velcroed correctly.

When we first got the Explorer back in January, the servicemen gave the tire mobility kit to us directly so we had to put it in ourselves. Maybe the dealer forgot to give it to you guys.

I definitely do not have the tire mobility kit. Dealer will be getting me one, glad I noticed it now.

I'd never use the tire gell in the modility kit. Maybe the pump. For an emergency, I'd use a tire plug and/or my cell phone.

Compressor kit has a home under the center of the 2nd row on my Base model with tow package... the unit is almost the same as the one that came with my Solstice (the solstice has no spare tire)

Compressor kit has a home under the center of the 2nd row on my Base model with tow package... the unit is almost the same as the one that came with my Solstice (the solstice has no spare tire)

I finally got my tire mobility kit from the dealer. It is much bigger then I thought it would be. After seeing how big it is, it can barely fit under the front driver seat. Yours can fit under your 2nd row? How? I have a 2012 XLT with BLIS and there is no way even a small kit could fit under the 2nd row. Maybe your seats are different. I should take a picture of my kit....maybe mine is different. It kinda big, I think I will only take it when traveling long distances.

Read in the owner's manual, there is a detailed instruction on how to store the tire mobility kit under the drivers seat. I didn't think it would fit well but it is actually a pretty slick install and doesn't interfere with the back seat passengers foot room.

You need to move the driver seat forward (all the way) and raise the seat as much as possible. Once you have done that....it is easy to store underneath the driver seat.

:thumbsup:

The mobility kit is for vehicles with the towing option. You can't use the smaller spare while towing so they equip the vehicle with the compressor and "stop leak" type of additive. I thought I read that if the tire sealer is used the tire pressure sensor will need to be replaced.

Yes this true of most sensors, using the stop leak, ruins the sensor.

Has anyone else with the 2012 with Tow Package received the Tire/Temporary Mobility Kit in their vehicle? My dealer and Ford Customer Service are telling me that this was dropped for the 2012 model.
I looked at my spare tire thinking it might be one that can be used for towing but the sticker on the side states specifically NOT to use if towing a Class III trailer and to use the Tire/Temporary Mobility kit.

Has anyone else with the 2012 with Tow Package received the Tire/Temporary Mobility Kit in their vehicle? My dealer and Ford Customer Service are telling me that this was dropped for the 2012 model.
I looked at my spare tire thinking it might be one that can be used for towing but the sticker on the side states specifically NOT to use if towing a Class III trailer and to use the Tire/Temporary Mobility kit.

On ford.com, build your own, trailer package still lists it.
See earlier post by Border_Explorer. He got one.

Houtzb is correct. I have a 2012MY with tow package and it should come with a tire mobility kit. I did not realize it until about 2 weeks later. Called the dealer and they said yes, should have one. Took a couple of days to get it. The tire mobility kit is actually part of the tow package. If you build an Explorer on the site, add a tow package then look at the details, it should list the tire mobility kit...unless they recently changed it

I called Ford Customer Service and was told that the tire mobility kit has been discontinued because it destroys the TPMS sensors. They also told me that if I get a flat while towing to call Roadside assistance.
If you compare the 2011 manual to the 2012, you will see that the tire/temporary mobility kit section has been removed for 2012.
Disappointing...

I called Ford Customer Service and was told that the tire mobility kit has been discontinued because it destroys the TPMS sensors. They also told me that if I get a flat while towing to call Roadside assistance.
If you compare the 2011 manual to the 2012, you will see that the tire/temporary mobility kit section has been removed for 2012.
Disappointing...

That is so much bull though. Even if you don't use the gel, you could use the compressor part and pump up the tire after you plug the hole in the tire. They definitely shouldn't have removed the tire mobility kit.

Picked up my 2012 explorer limited with the tow package this week and i don't have the tire mobility kit either. I pointed it out to the saleman and he said that he would, "look into it." Guess i am not getting one!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is so much bull though. Even if you don't use the gel, you could use the compressor part and pump up the tire after you plug the hole in the tire. They definitely shouldn't have removed the tire mobility kit.
Plus, if you decide to play in the sand you could let some air out of the tires and then pump them back up when you are done.

Back