tire noise on goodyear mt/r??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire noise on goodyear mt/r???

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to raise my explorer up from it's current lowered stance. After the TT and OME springs, it will be time for new tires and probably wheels.

I really like the looks of the goodyear mt/r, but i wonder how noisy they are on the highway and around town. My explorer gets 99% street driving right now, but I want to be able to go offroading if I want to. does anyone have any thoughts about the tire noise?

my other question is about wheel size. from all the posts I've read, it seems that I can get away with a 32 X 11.5 / 15 with the TT and OME springs. I really would like 33s, but a 33 X 10.5 probably looks too narrow.

With the 32 X 11.5 tires, should i go with my stock 15" limited wheels, 15 X 8, or 15 X 10 aftermarket wheels? also what offset? I don't want rubbing.

thanks for your help,

Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ask or email tdavis...he has the 35s and he swears by them...he loves them and they are great, no wait, better than great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!They also kick butt off-road. i witnesed them in action myself....i believe tdavis said the ythey are relatively quiet on the street.

Originally posted by QuadCam

With the 32 X 11.5 tires, should i go with my stock 15" limited wheels, 15 X 8, or 15 X 10 aftermarket wheels? also what offset? I don't want rubbing.

Stock rims would work okay, 15x8 would be best, and 15x10 would be too wide. IMHO

I have had MTR/s for all most a year now and they are great tires they do not make alot of noise and they are great off road I just got a new set of 8x15 black rock-crawler rims for Moab, I have no rubbing but mine are small 31-10.50-15s and they still are wearing even.

Wade

MT/R's are one of the best all around tire on the market, today.

They have a great look, generate low noise at highway speeds, handle great, and not horribly expensive.

You'll love the tires.

Stock rims with a 11.50 tire is fine - 8" wide is also fine, 10" is too wide.

what offset should I go with on a 15 X 8" wheel?

i had a similar delima: goodyear mt/r vs at/s. i chose the at/s because of cost and i love them. next time around i will prolly get the mt/r, the mt/r sidewalls are suppossed to be incredibaly tough and they look really cool too.

Back