• Register Today It's free!

Tire Preferences

jawillou

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
So I'm looking to get some new tires as mine are getting pretty bare. I already decided I'm gonna go up in size a little from stock to 265/70/16. I have heard some good things about the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. I want an all terrain tire with a little more aggressive tread but nothing to extreme.

Does anyone have any preferences?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a set of 265/70R17's (same as 265/75R16 AFAIK) Firestone Destination A/Ts on my stock 04 ex, and all I can say is I love them. I beast through all of Buffalo's Lake Effect snow like its not even there, and when im on the highway, I forget I have A/T tires on, they ride just like regular tires on pavement.

I second that
I have a set of destination a/t and they are way beter than the wranglers I had. I've been through a lot of mud and rocks and haven't gotten close to getting stuck and I have 2wd. They are also really smooth on the road and come with a 50,000 mile warranty so they are suppose to last a while

I have a set of Baja ATZ radials and they get the job done plus some.

My suggestion would be a Michelin LTX M/S2 or an X Radial LT2 if you can afford them. They're a 70k tire, and they're quite quiet from what customers have told me. Or you could go with a little louder set of tires, and go for a Michelin LTX AT2, or BFG All terrain. Both of those are more aggressive but will allow you much more range.

Justin

Goodyear wrangler territory 31" amazing grip on all surfaces, not overly loud on the highway.

I like the michelin cross terrains. Im pretty sure they came standard on the explorer, mine lasted 100K miles and I just put a new set on a few weeks ago. amazing grip, went through 2 feet of snow without any pproblems.

Yokohama Geolander will have to be my pick. Great reviews on Tire Rack. I've run the HT-S (On the Ex and the F150 now) and the AT-S. Good wear, good traction. Much quieter than the BFG's that I was running.

Hey, i was looking up some stuff online and I came across this thread. If you are looking for some good tires, here are some prices for you:

All-Terrain P265/75R16

$100.63 Cooper ATR 50,000 mile tread life warranty

$119.22 Toyo Open Country AT 50,000 mile tread life warranty

$157.56 Michelin LTX AT2 ($70 rebate 4/29/10 to 5/31/10)

Thanks!
Nikki from TireCrawler.com

I do not recommend going up on tire size. Been there done that on other vehicles.
I went to sams to shop for tires and they only had the Michelen X cross terrain in my size. So for $165 + $15 + tax per tire I'm glad I did. The original factory tires had 69600 miles and still had another 5000 miles left. I have not learned how to hydroplane very well. I later found these tire to have great reviews.

Back