Tire pressure monitor fault FPIU 2016 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire pressure monitor fault FPIU 2016

gapcomputer

Reaction score
City, State
East Hanover
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Explorer, police
Hello, new to the group, i did a search but nothing come up with this problem (at least not for the model and year), note that is a Tire pressure monitor fault msg and not Tire Sensor Fault msg, everything was working properly and then this msg pop up, sensors are working fine, tested at a shop, remove spare tire just in case, trying to reset the sensor but nothing happen, before i had the reading on all wheels, now it just show lines without any numbers, i have to use Forscan to disable the msg since was very annoying seeing the msg every time i start the vehicle, if anybody can point me where is the location for the receiver or if can be anything else it will be great, thanks in advance.
Gabriel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Gabriel. :wave:
Does the spare in a PIU have a TPMS sensor? I know they don't in the retail units. Does your MFT/Sync system have a Master Reset option? You can try that or sometimes disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes has been known to fix certain problems. Just keep in mind that you may lose some saved memory settings using these procedures. I don't recall a similar issue being posted here before.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Gabriel. :wave:
Does the spare in a PIU have a TPMS sensor? I know they don't in the retail units. Does your MFT/Sync system have a Master Reset option? You can try that or sometimes disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes has been known to fix certain problems. Just keep in mind that you may lose some saved memory settings using these procedures. I don't recall a similar issue being posted here before.

Peter
Hey Peter, thanks for your prompt answer, i did remove the spare because have a TPMS, this vehicle don’t have sync, i also new to the FPIU, got it like 2 months ago so i not familiar with the meaning of MFT, sorry my ignorance, i may be able to try the battery method as long as don’t deleted all mods made with Forscan, once again thanks

well here is the update, trying the battery disconnect method but didn't work, anybody know the location of this receiver?

In my 2018 Limited, the Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) is in the right rear quarter panel. About ten inches under the rear window. Follow the forward glass line down and the small box is bolted to the wall under the reinforcement crossbrace.

Fritz

It is in the same place in the 2016 as well. You need to pull the U, B, or C DTC code(s) and tell us what it is to further troubleshoot.

In my 2018 Limited, the Radio Transceiver Module (RTM) is in the right rear quarter panel. About ten inches under the rear window. Follow the forward glass line down and the small box is bolted to the wall under the reinforcement crossbrace.

Fritz
Not in PIU, totally different than a limited.

Not in PIU, totally different than a limited.
Can you elaborate? In the Chiltons for 2016 PIU model it shows the RTM mounted on the passenger rear quarter panel.

Can you elaborate? In the Chiltons for 2016 PIU model it shows the RTM mounted on the passenger rear quarter panel.
I was working on that. #1 in the diagram straight from Ford's service manual.

2016 PIU.jpg

I was working on that. #1 in the diagram straight from Ford's service manual.
Awesome. Wouldn't be the first time the Chilton's Service Manual was wrong. So they basically copy/paste from the Explorer model for the PIU data. Interesting.... Is that the same for the 14 PIU? Chilton's shows it being on the pass rear quarter for the Explorer and PIU models.

Wouldn't be the first time Ford's was wrong either. Show's the same pic in 2017 and one similar in 2015. The electrical system for the PIU/Explorer was completely revamped from 15 to 16. I am basing my response off the official service manual for 2016 but in 2018 they removed that pic and make no reference to a receiver in that area. If its not attached to the center dash lower bezel (for non center console PIUs) then I would have to say its back in the right hand load space.

hey guys, thanks a lot for the answers and the diagram, will try on Saturday and will update, once again thanks a lot.

Hello, new to the group, i did a search but nothing come up with this problem (at least not for the model and year), note that is a Tire pressure monitor fault msg and not Tire Sensor Fault msg, everything was working properly and then this msg pop up, sensors are working fine, tested at a shop, remove spare tire just in case, trying to reset the sensor but nothing happen, before i had the reading on all wheels, now it just show lines without any numbers, i have to use Forscan to disable the msg since was very annoying seeing the msg every time i start the vehicle, if anybody can point me where is the location for the receiver or if can be anything else it will be great, thanks in advance.
Gabriel.
I found that if I used certain cell phone fast chargers it would trigger this system to display a fault. Unplug the charger and the warning goes away pretty quickly. It took a while to figure this out. Installed a new 12 volt splitter on center of dash (where the center speaker would go in a normal explorer) and plugged it in there. Problem went away until I used a really long cable between my phone and the charger. if I let it droop near the module (where the lower cig lighter positions are) if can at times trip it again. I know this is odd, but it's a real source of a nuisance warning message.

@Adam Janowski , thanks for the input, i have no phone charger on my vehicle, i only have 3 cameras connected to usb ports and the PA system.

FYI, it has also been mentioned on several occasions that items left plugged into the power ports or USB connections can interfere with remote start. Something to check if you ever have a remote start problem.

Peter

hey Peter, I didn't have any issue with the starter at all, at the time of trying the re-learn process I disconnect the 3 cams and the PA system, but still nothing, i did try to find the plug #1 in the diagram with no luck, maybe is in another place, thanks.

update: after running forscan i got a bunch of codes, it seems that all point to the BCM.

Untitled.png

===PCM DTC None===
Successful DTC reading, no error codes found

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC None===

===OBDII DTC None===

Module: On Board Diagnostic II

===END OBDII DTC None===

===BdyCM DTC B124D:02-8A===
Code: B124D - Tire Pressure Sensor

Additional Fault Symptom:
- General Signal Failure

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

Module: Body Control Module

===END BdyCM DTC B124D:02-8A===

===BdyCM DTC B1182:00-8A===
Code: B1182 - Tire Pressure Monitoring System

- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC

===END BdyCM DTC B1182:00-8A===

===BdyCM DTC B10F1:14-08===
Code: B10F1 - Key In Switch

- Circuit Short To Ground Or Open

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

===END BdyCM DTC B10F1:14-08===

===FCDIM DTC None===

Module: Front Control/Display Interface Module

===END FCDIM DTC None===

===FCIMB DTC None===

Module: Front Controls Interface Module B

===END FCIMB DTC None===

===OCS DTC None===

Module: Occupant Classification System Module

===END OCS DTC None===

===ABS DTC None===

Module: Antilock braking system

===END ABS DTC None===

===RTM DTC U1A00:00-68===
Code: U1A00 - Private Communication Network

- Test not complete

Module: Radio Transceiver Module

===END RTM DTC U1A00:00-68===

===RCM DTC None===

Module: Restraint Control Module

===END RCM DTC None===

===HVAC DTC B1086:07-08===
Code: B1086 - Air Distribution Damper Motor

- Mechanical Failures

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===END HVAC DTC B1086:07-08===

===PSCM DTC None===

Module: Power Steering Control Module

===END PSCM DTC None===

===ACM DTC None===

Module: Audio Control Module

===END ACM DTC None===

===SCCM DTC B1380:09-08===
Code: B1380 - Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack

- Component Failures

Module: Steering Column Control Module

===END SCCM DTC B1380:09-08===

===SCCM DTC B1380:17-0A===
Code: B1380 - Steering Wheel Right Switch Pack

- Circuit Voltage Above Threshold

===END SCCM DTC B1380:17-0A===

===SCCM DTC U2101:00-08===
Code: U2101 - Control Module Configuration Incompatible

===END SCCM DTC U2101:00-08===

===IPC DTC U023A:00-0A===
Code: U023A - Lost Communication With Image Processing Module A

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

===END IPC DTC U023A:00-0A===

===IPC DTC U0241:00-0A===
Code: U0241 - Lost Communication With Headlamp Control Module A

Module: Instrument Panel Control Module

===END IPC DTC U0241:00-0A===

===GWM DTC None===

Module: Gateway Module A

===END GWM DTC None===

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back