• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem

GIJeff

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
My 2007 Explorer is having a problem with its tire pressure monitor system. I had aftermarket chrome wheels put on my Explorer years ago, and it has been awhile but I believe at the time the tire pressure monitors were transferred from my factory wheels to the chrome wheels - was this possible, or were new monitors installed in the new wheels? Anyway, about a year ago I removed my chrome wheels and put my factory wheels back on. Since then, my tire pressure monitor system has displayed an error light on my dash and has not recorded when tire pressure is low - the error is constantly on. I assumed at the time the tire company that put my factory wheels back on forgot to transfer the sensors from my chrome wheels to my factory, so I've taken the chrome wheels back in multiple times to have them removed and then replaced in my vehicle, but each time the tire company basically tells me they have no idea what to do. They couldn't find any tire pressure monitor in my chrome wheels - is it supposed to be a band around the wheel, or is it in the valve stem? I live over an hour away from this company, and they will do it for free, so I've tried to coordinate the work while I'm in town with my brother who has my aftermarket wheels, but the tire company isn't being helpful.

-How do the tire pressure monitors work in an '07 Explorer? Stems, bands, or something else?
-Can they be removed from one set of wheels and placed in another?
-Is it reasonable to suspect they are still in my chrome wheels and need to be transferred to my factory wheels?
-If not, what the heck happened to the sensors in my factory wheels?

I have little to no automotive skills, so I'm sorry if this explanation and list of questions are confusing!

The OEM TPMS is the band style. It is possible that the original sensors were put in the new rims. If that was the case, the vehicle would not need to be reprogrammed to recognize the sensors in the new rims. It would be obvious if the sensors were still on the rims because you would be able to see them without any tires mounted on them.
Bottom line, if the sensors are changed at all the TPMS system has to be reprogrammed. However, it is possible that when the change was made back to OEM rims one of the sensors was damaged in the process and that is why you are getting the TPMS warning light. Sounds like you need to find the damaged sensor and replace it so that the system works properly again.

Back