• Register Today It's free!

Tire Question

2006_MM_FYRE41

Reaction score
City, State
South Elgin, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountaineer Premier
:usa:I went to Costco today to get information on installing four Michelin LTX A/T2 tires, P245/65R 17, on my 2006 Mountaineer Premier and they won't do it. The reason was because the BF Goodrichs that came from the factory are "H" speed rated and the Michelin's are "S" speed rated.

I know damn well that the Michelin's will far out perform the BFGs. Has anyone else run into this from Costco?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could always buy them and have it mounted elsewhere. But you prolly won't get the tire warranty included.

I have'nt been impressed with Costco's tire prices in this area.

Yea, costco is like that. I ran into similar frustration last year. They seem to be paranoid about liability so they won't sell you any tire that doesn't exactly match the factory specs of your vehicle. That way if anything happens they can just blame the auto manufacturer.

That being said, the H rating on your stock tire is a much higher speed rating than a S so I can kinda see where they are coming from in this case. But unless you're planning to drive over 112 mph I don't think it's an issue. I would think that load ratings are more important.

I suppose you could always tell them that you're buying them for another car (research this first) and then walk out the door with 'em and have them mounted at a different shop.

From what I understand, if my vehicle was a 2006 Explorer Limited then it would have come from the factory with "T" rated BFGs. Why in the world did Mercury put "H" rated tires on. I am certainly not going to drive 112 MPH anywhere with this car.

There's more to it than just the speed rating . . . . A car's (or truck's) suspension is designed for a tire of a certain rating. You put a different tire on the car, the suspension doesn't behave the way it's 'sposed to . . . You put too soft a tire on and then roll said car (or truck) and then sue the tire dealer for selling you the wrong tire.

There's more to it than just the speed rating . . . . A car's (or truck's) suspension is designed for a tire of a certain rating. You put a different tire on the car, the suspension doesn't behave the way it's 'sposed to . . . You put too soft a tire on and then roll said car (or truck) and then sue the tire dealer for selling you the wrong tire.

The problem that I have is that the Mountaineer Premier and the Explorer Limited are identical vehicles except for sheet metal changes. I checked on this with my dealer they have the same suspension parts across the board. My thought is that Mercury put the "H" speed rated tires to give an individuality.

Considering the 98 MPH speed limiter... S is sufficient 112 mph. H = 130mph

Its not a matter of making costco understand. Its company policy. If you dont like how they run things find a new place to go to. I worked for fleet farm a while back and they will only mount tires that are the same size as oem. No matter how convincing you are you wont get what you want in this case. Try to be nice to the the employees because they have no control over this. But i agree with you that its a pain and i wish they would just mount the tires. I have run into this problem in the past as well. I think its a stupid policy but debating about it with the employees is just a waste of time. I just hit up the privately owned repair shops and they are always more then happy to do it. You might want to consider looking on line for tires as well. I found it cheaper to buy online and ship them to my house then go to the store and buy the same tire.

Back