Tire question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire question

0E8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
New guy checking in. My wife drives a 2014 limited 2 wheel drive. She has a tendency to curb the wheels occasionally (But hell she's pretty). I was thinking about going to a 265 50 20 to give a little more sidewall and figured it may even ride a little nicer as a bonus (as if the thing doesn't ride like a Cadi anyways). So my question is, anyone running something like this? Any figment issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New guy checking in. My wife drives a 2014 limited 2 wheel drive. She has a tendency to curb the wheels occasionally (But hell she's pretty). I was thinking about going to a 265 50 20 to give a little more sidewall and figured it may even ride a little nicer as a bonus (as if the thing doesn't ride like a Cadi anyways). So my question is, anyone running something like this? Any figment issues?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'm guessing that you want a higher sidewall? The 255 tire is 10.04" wide and has a sidewall height of 5.02". By going to a 265 you increase the tread width to 10.43" and the sidewall height to 5.22". The change is within the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance at 1.31%. If it is the wheels that you are concerned about scratching, I don't think this is going to help much. To do that you would likely have to go to an 18" wheel with the appropriate tire size. That will increase the sidewall height. I have OEM 20" tires (255/45R20) on mine and run 18" (235/60R18) in the Winter and notice a slightly better ride due to the higher sidewall than the 20". Sidewall height increased 1.03".
You can use sites like www.tirerack.com or www.1010tires.com to figure out different sizes.

Peter

I have the same problem. But my wife is prettier than your wife. :)

I just gave up. She's pretty good with my Explorer. She's awful with her own car. And I don't allow her to drive my fast toys (besides, she can't drive manual anyways). I'm teaching the finer points in parking to my young driving daughters, so they will be happily married some day.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'm guessing that you want a higher sidewall? The 255 tire is 10.04" wide and has a sidewall height of 5.02". By going to a 265 you increase the tread width to 10.43" and the sidewall height to 5.22". The change is within the accepted 3% maximum diameter variance at 1.31%. If it is the wheels that you are concerned about scratching, I don't think this is going to help much. To do that you would likely have to go to an 18" wheel with the appropriate tire size. That will increase the sidewall height. I have OEM 20" tires (255/45R20) on mine and run 18" (235/60R18) in the Winter and notice a slightly better ride due to the higher sidewall than the 20". Sidewall height increased 1.03".
You can use sites like www.tirerack.com or www.1010tires.com to figure out different sizes.

Peter
I don't think she's gonna go for a wheel change. She likes the way her truck looks. I know it's not much difference but I figure any little bit helps. I'm planning on coating the wheels with some of that rubberized type wheel coating as well. I know it's not gonna help if she really tags something but again... Every little bit helps. Was kinda hoping someone would have some pics on a stock height Explorer as well

I have the same problem. But my wife is prettier than your wife. :)

I just gave up. She's pretty good with my Explorer. She's awful with her own car. And I don't allow her to drive my fast toys (besides, she can't drive manual anyways). I'm teaching the finer points in parking to my young driving daughters, so they will be happily married some day.

I don't believe you...

265 55 20

Ok so I've read through tire threads, all of them seem to be people gearing more toward performance or a sport look. I know the 265 55 20 is outside the 3% range. It's 4.8 if I remember correctly. Truck is a 2014 limited with the 255 50 20s on it now. Wife like to feel out curbs and I'm wanting something with more sidewall. I know a 265 50 20 will fit but if I can fit the 55s without rubbing that would be even better. Anyone running this size on a FWD limited? Any pictures?

Ok so I've read through tire threads, all of them seem to be people gearing more toward performance or a sport look. I know the 265 55 20 is outside the 3% range. It's 4.8 if I remember correctly. Truck is a 2014 limited with the 255 50 20s on it now. Wife like to feel out curbs and I'm wanting something with more sidewall. I know a 265 50 20 will fit but if I can fit the 55s without rubbing that would be even better. Anyone running this size on a FWD limited? Any pictures?
Your two threads have been merged. Please do not start a new thread when you already have a similar one on the same issue. Thanks.
BTW, the 3% max is basically has to do with possible brake failure if exceeded. There are also modules in the vehicle that are programed to take wheel/tire size into account for their operation.

Peter

Your two threads have been merged. Please do not start a new thread when you already have a similar one on the same issue. Thanks.
BTW, the 3% max is basically has to do with possible brake failure if exceeded. There are also modules in the vehicle that are programed to take wheel/tire size into account for their operation.

Peter

Yea, I'm not worried about brake failure with the setup, they aren't 44s... Just wondering if anyone was running that size so I could find out first hand if they would run or not and maybe see some pics.

Yea, I'm not worried about brake failure with the setup, they aren't 44s... Just wondering if anyone was running that size so I could find out first hand if they would run or not and maybe see some pics.
You could always try 'searching' on that size.

Peter

You could always try 'searching' on that size.

Peter

Awesome, that's much more helpful than just not answering because you don't know the answer to the question.

I would get 275/45/20s with a "rim protector", they have thicker rubber on the sidewalls to keep the rim safe

I would get 275/45/20s with a "rim protector", they have thicker rubber on the sidewalls to keep the rim safe

I did look at the 275 45s but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that actually a slightly lower profile than the 255 50s that are on it right now?

i'm driving FWD and have aftermarket wheels - 265/50/20 and they are way better that the stock 18"

2015-09-26%2010.03.07.jpg

i'm driving FWD and have aftermarket wheels - 265/50/20 and they are way better that the stock 18"

Now we are getting somewhere. Looks like you have plenty of room there. Do you think 265 55 20s on factory 2014 limited wheels would fit without rubbing?

new stock tires are about 30" in height, the 275/45s are about 1/4" total shorter, but do give you more width to protect the rim. 255 to 265 isn't much of a change and 275/50 is about 3/4" too tall. Either way I would get some with a rim protector, click the link. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=149

I did look at the 275 45s but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that actually a slightly lower profile than the 255 50s that are on it right now?

Now we are getting somewhere. Looks like you have plenty of room there. Do you think 265 55 20s on factory 2014 limited wheels would fit without rubbing?

i think it will fit, will give you closer look

2015-10-01%2016.43.22.jpg

and even 60 will fit on the rear. i've also tried wider tire up to 285 and it didnt rub on the suspension parts.

i think it will fit, will give you closer look

2015-10-01%2016.43.22.jpg

and even 60 will fit on the rear. i've also tried wider tire up to 285 and it didnt rub on the suspension parts.

What's the way to go to correct the speedo on these? I've had luck with superchips tuners in the past but my truck is an 08 so I've been out of the game on that for a bit

What's the way to go to correct the speedo on these? I've had luck with superchips tuners in the past but my truck is an 08 so I've been out of the game on that for a bit
Jason, jmr061, did some investigating on something similar on his 2016 and found that there are control modules that use the tire size info for proper operation. I believe the ABS is one such system. He wasn't sure if pre 2016s used the same info since he didn't have one to test. I'm still trying to find that post.

Peter

if worried that much about curbing I would just move to an 18 again.

I forget the exact numbers but you'd get to a 245/55 18. and this would get the rim- more likely up over any curbings.

as opposed to being right in the line of action.

another option is to move to a different rim altogether - and get something you are willing to be able to repaint.

I don't know I would want to go down to a 235 - but I don't know what the availability in is 18's these days.

I would want to keep as much tread path as I could - so 245 or more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would agree, sounds like an easier decision than finding 20" tires

if worried that much about curbing I would just move to an 18 again.

I forget the exact numbers but you'd get to a 245/55 18. and this would get the rim- more likely up over any curbings.

as opposed to being right in the line of action.

another option is to move to a different rim altogether - and get something you are willing to be able to repaint.

I don't know I would want to go down to a 235 - but I don't know what the availability in is 18's these days.

I would want to keep as much tread path as I could - so 245 or more.

Back