Tire questions for a 2001 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire questions for a 2001 Explorer Sport

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport with about 43K miles and still have the original tires-255/70/16 Goodyear APs. The tires visually do not look like they are worn or need to be replaced. Still a lot of tread-nowhere even close to the wear bar. The shoulders are somewhat rounded compared to the spare (still new, never used). When I drive in the rain and hit a puddle, the truck pulls to the side and in fact on the highway, I shifted over to one lane completely and almost spun. Do these tires need to be replaced although it really doesn't look like they should? I would assume that having a shorter wheelbase would play a factor in the skittishness of the truck in the rain. They tires also howl on turns. Should I maybe play with the tire pressures? What would be optimum. I autocross and track a BMW, but this is my first SUV and have no idea what is a good tire pressure for this kind of vehicle.

I am looking at Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls as a possible replacement if necessary. They seem to be good in the rain and snow according to reviews on Tire Rack. I am not looking for a hardcore tire. Opinions on it?

Thanks everyone!

If you look on the edge of the drivers door, there is a sticker with a bunch of numbers. It will tell you what your tire pressure should be. Yours should be 30 psi. (most cars have this sticker. sometimes it is in the glove box though). Don't use the number on the tire itself. That just tells you the maximum pressure the tire can handle.
If your tires are getting rounded on the edges, your tire pressure may be too low. Look at your tires and see if the tread depth is less on the edges than in the middle. if this is the case, your pressure is too low. If the tread is more worn in the middle than on the edges, the pressure is too high. As for the howling on corners, it may have something to do with too low tire pressure. Either that, or you may want to have your alignment checked.
You say it pulls to the side when you go through a puddle. How fast are you going through the puddle? Are the puddles just a little rain water on the road or are they 2 or 3 inches deep? The deeper the water, the slower you need to go to keep from hydroplaning. It sounds like you are hydroplaning. This will happen with any car if you go fast through a puddle. The tires actually try to 'water ski' on top of the puddle. I think either you are going too fast through the puddle, or the tires need to be replaced.
I don't know anything about Bridgestone duelers, but I have the Goodyear AT/s. They absolutely suck on snow/ice, but do ok on dry/wet pavement. I would not reccomend them. I have put about 35,000 miles on them, and they are 3/4 worn. I will barely get by this winter, and will definitely need new ones by summer.
I don't mean to sound like I think you don't know anything. Just trying to help you with what I know. Good luck.

Yeah, the shoulders are rounded-seems to be less tread on the sides than the middles... Maybe I'll pump the pressures up to like 33-35?

As for hitting puddles, this is at highway speeds. Not good. I mean, when it is raining, I am doing about 55 to 60, but then wham! standing water! And then it yanks. I've tracked cars on wet road courses with standing water at much higher speeds but nothing is as scary as that feeling in the Explorer. I've never experienced anything like that in my dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee. But then again it has the Quadratrack system.

Is it unusual that I have that much tread on my tires at 43K miles?

Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't go any higher than 35 psi becuase the ride will start to get really stiff. As for the hydroplaning, I think it has more to do with the tires & speed than anything else. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

Back