• Register Today It's free!

tire replacements advice

ygu

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB
I am going to the dealer on thurday to get my tires changed through the recall. they have Goodyear, Michelin, and Dunlop tires. Which Brnad should I get? I need advice. I usally drive on paved roads but I do want the tires to have a some bite to them because I where I work it snows alot. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was very happy with my Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires when I had them. They had good traction in all sorts of weather and surfaces, and even did ok in Moab. The Wrangler AT/S have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern though.

The Michelin SUV LTXs are ok tires also. Dunlop makes really good sport performance tires, but not great SUV tires.

I'd go with Goodyear RT/S or AT/S.

I have the Michelin LTX M/S on my Explorer. I replaced the stock Goodyear RT/S (really crappy tires, constantly lost air, cupped and scallopped, always had to be balanced) with them around 40,000 miles and have had them ever since. The truck has 98,000 miles on it now, and they have plenty of tread. Much smoother and quieter than the Goodyears with better traction and much better treadwear. They have never leaked air, never needed to be balanced, been really good tires. I'll definately buy them again.

I totally agree with Stephen. I too replaced the stock Goodyears that came on my Explorer with the Michelin
LTX M/S and am totaly satisfied with their performance,
including driving in snow. Michelin tires hold up very well and I have become a loyal customer. I bought mine at a local tire dealer here in NY (WTC), I'm not sure if they have any branches in NJ. Paid 114.00 each with lifetime balancing, rotation, and wheel alignment included.
My wifes Honda also has Michelins on it, we bought them at Costco which also has free lifetime balancing and rotation. I'm not certain if Costco will carry the
235/75R/15 tires since I really never looked for them there. I used to own a conversion van and had put BF Goodrich on it since I was told they made the best truck tires. They were real **** and only lasted about 40K miles. I replaced them with Michelins and after 50K still looked and had a great deal of tread left.
JIm F- thanks for the great link, iwould use his link below for your application. They show the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV to be the best. I don't recall seeing that model when I bought mine 3 years ago. I will buy these in the future.
Highway All-Season
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/highwayas.jsp

Hope this helps.

I replaced the stock Goodyear RT/S (really crappy tires,
I went through 2 sets personaly. I went w/ the Dunlop radial rovers which are a great highway tire. They lessen on the body roll. Take it from me I ride the highway everyday and do about 70-95 mph on them w/ no probs.

I would go with Michelin Cross Terrains. They are the best in my opinion.

Travis, the Cross Terrains (255-70R16) are $138 each at Costco, including lifetime balance and rotation. I don't think I can afford them. It's way too expensive.

The P255/70R16 tires are $130 and the P265/70R16 is $133 from Tirerack. And the P235/75R15 is $112. If you are replacing the Firestone it will basically pay for the tires fully. i had to pay extra for the tirtes and think it was well worth the extra money. The ratings on these tires is far supirior to any other tire i looked at. I know if you are buying these out of your pocket it's a good chunk of change, but i have had mine for 7,000 miles and can barely detect any wear. I do a 5 tire rotation so I hope (and think) these tires should last me nearly 90,000 miles. Also if you buy any Michelin tires now you get 2 free motorola talkabout radios. It says the offer is not alailable for people replacing firestone tires, but it's worth a shot for free $80 radios.

I'm not replacing the Firestones, the previous owner replaced the tires with Kelly-Springfield Safari AWR. They're terrible!!! They make this annoying woo noise at around 50 mph. I really want some new tires but my dad said that he is not going to let me to get new tires until the treads are gone...which will be years later. So...I'm pretty much stuck with these tires.

I really want some new tires but my dad said that he is not going to let me to get new tires until the treads are gone...which will be years later. So...I'm pretty much stuck with these tires.

Sounds like its time to do a burnout video!

Heh...like my underpowered 4 liter will let me do burnouts. Plus, I don't want a new transmission yet...but right now seems like a great time because it's still under warrenty. LOL

I bet if you powerbraked it, it would burn em down. Do about a 2-5 min powerbrake but make sure you get video or pics!

WHata re we talking about burning down...the transmission or tires?!
:-D

Billy

Have to disagree with your below post

“Travis, the Cross Terrains (255-70R16) are $138 each at Costco, including lifetime balance and rotation. I don't think I can afford them. It's way too expensive.”

As the saying goes 'you can pay me now or pay me later".

If these more expensive tires prevent you from having an accident, the deductible will have paid for them.
More important, they may prevent a serious injury to yourself and perhaps others.

If you ask me good tires are "priceless".

Yeah, they're expenisve but the tires I have now are almost excellent. They handle turns very well and they also have very good traction wet or dry. Not only that, the tires still have plenty of treads left so there's no reason for getting new tires right now. The only thing I hate is the humming noise at certain speeds. What I meant to say in that post was that I cannot afford them now. So I'm sorry I made you think differently about the post.

Billy,

Makes no sense to replace your tires if they still have good tread on them and only complaint is noise over 50.
My ignorance for not reading your later posts that did state your tires were replaced.
I am grateful for the 3 links that Jim F provided for tire surveys, I have saved them and will use them for future tire purchases. I love those Michelins.

Billy, if you go to buy new tires, the shop/dealer should give you a "rebate" for the tires you are replacing based on the treadwear. If they are pratically brand new, then you would get X amount of $ for them that would be used to offset the price of the new tires. So if your current tires are worth $50 each based on the tread left, then you would only be paying $80 for the new tires. Sears gave me $70 per Crapstone when I bought my new Michelins about a week before the initial recall. Cost me ~$40 out of pocket per tire for the Michelins.

P.S. I highly recommend the Michelins.... any Michelins! The only tires I'll ever own if I can help it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back