Tire rub on upper control arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire rub on upper control arm

Keith L

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I just replaced both upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends and brakes on my wife's aunt's 1996 Explorer 4wd. The ball joints were shot and one of the tie rod ends had broke in half. When I was replacing the rod I noticed how bad the ball joints were and broke the news to her aunt. The boots were completely gone on all ball joints AND the upper control arm was rubbing the inside of both tires. I just finished replacing everything today and it looks like the tires are still going to rub. I thought the new ball joints would fix it. Could it be that it just needs an alignment really bad? This truck has 285k miles on it and has not been maintained at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What size tires are on the truck? Does it have stock OE Explorer wheels?

Strange, how is the ride height? When my torsion bars failed the tires rubbed on something. They can also be at a point where there is no tension. Look at the bumpstop and check clearance.

245-75-16 on stock rims. One alignment guy said to check the wheel bearings...

245-75-16 on stock rims. One alignment guy said to check the wheel bearings...
whoa. stock rims off what? 96 had 15" wheels I thought.

I wonder if you don't have a later gen ( 2002-2005 maybe) stock explorer wheels?

For giggles, mount the spare wheel on there, and see if it still seems too close.

whoa. stock rims off what? 96 had 15" wheels I thought.

I wonder if you don't have a later gen ( 2002-2005 maybe) stock explorer wheels?

For giggles, mount the spare wheel on there, and see if it still seems too close.

I have 255/70/16 stock on the 96.

OK guys, I found out what the deal is. I talked to her brother who had been working on the car since she's owned it. He told me that he had bought other used tires and rims and put them on her car. They are not the right size tires which is probably why they are rubbing. Go figure...

OK guys, I found out what the deal is. I talked to her brother who had been working on the car since she's owned it. He told me that he had bought other used tires and rims and put them on her car. They are not the right size tires which is probably why they are rubbing. Go figure...

Well, there you go...

It is probably the wheels, not the tires. check the wheel backspacing and offset.

Good you caught it. Tires are no place to cut corners on an Explorer.

Huh, What?? that recall was 14-15 years ago. are you using tires that old?

Back