• Register Today It's free!

Tire Sensor Fault

zwakef1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
I've been having the tire sensor fault message on my dash since I bought my '06 Explorer six years ago. I'm finally fed up with looking at it. From looking online and in this forum it seems that you can retrain the sensor using either a cheap retraining push button tool or a cheap retraining magnet.

My question is: Does anyone know if the '06 Explorers need the tool or the magnet to retrain? I know they are both cheap options and I could just buy both, see which one works and return the other, but I figured it was worth asking to maybe save some time.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Needs the tool, but odds are if they are original the batteries are toast in your sensors. 06 to 2018 is a long old haul for a watch battery. The oems are pretty easy to swap once the bead is broken, and aftermarket stem style are pretty simple to install with a broken bead. Both can be had cheaply on ebay.

The tool is still available, and not too expensive - Motorcraft TPMS 19 tool.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motorcra...75035&wl11=online&wl12=48278709&wl13=&veh=sem

I'm still using my original sensors from 2006, as well as a set I got for my snow tires. I retrain the tires twice a year quite easily. Spend about $30 on the tool, and then see if you need new sensors. Maybe you'll get lucky. There's a little routine to do with the start key and the brake to get into TPMS training mode.

Or go to your local tire store and pay about $64 for them to determine which sensor is bad is replace it. Easy-peasey.

Part of the TPMS training routine is to activate each sensor individually. You go clockwise out your driver's door and do the front driver's side first. If one of the sensors is a goner, you'll know which one because the horn won't honk. The horn honk is an acknowledgment that the sensor is now active.

Back