• Register Today It's free!

Tire size limitation question

sluggish

Reaction score
City, State
Orillia, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ram 3500
I just picked up a 96 5.0 AWD to use as a donor vehicle for a 30-50's style body swap(haven't found that yet) and I have one question(for now). I do not plan to offroad at all, but would like to put a little meatier tire on it as it will be my daily driver in the winter. I basically am wondering what is the maximum size I could safely go with and not cause excessive/premature wear on the driveline components. I don't need 35's or anything like that, but maybe a set of 31's would look a bit better. However, I don't want to add significant stress to the components just to look a little cooler. If no increase in tire size is recommended for the stock components then I guess I will stick with stock. Keep in mind that the weight of the truck should significantly decrease once the Explorer body is gone.

I think you would be fine with 31"s, shouldn't be a problem for it. 33"s even shouldn't affect it to bad.

i just put 31x10.50 r15s on my truck and i did notice the weight difference ove stock but it drives just fine. they seem to fit the wheel well fine. ive had a few people tell me they rub at full lock and/or when off roading at stock height. if your keeping it on the street itll be fine. just to be safe and cause it looks better to me i used a 5/16 spacer on each tire with stock rims to keep from rubbing and its been fine.

The rubbing issues will be determined down the road but they will be different than what you are experiencing for sure. Simply because it is going to get a 30-50's style body on it and the explorer body will be scrapped.

Back