• Register Today It's free!

Tire size question

Todd.C

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello all, I’ve got a 2001 Explorer Sport two wheel drive. I’m sure it’s been ask dozens of times but I bought some new 31/10.5/15’s has anyone done this and if so was there any issues?

6ED3ECD9-6283-404F-B7A6-826879F87707.jpeg

E3BABD60-237F-4913-8C5C-DC63AC5CBCB5.jpeg

989BE30E-23C9-4FC2-A795-03D85527FA5B.jpeg

36BB293E-C8E7-4557-B20C-E795A38379B5.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some members have run that size no problems, but on stock alloys.

Those aftermarket alloys might be a problem maybe :dunno:

Thanks, I got the alloys from the same guy I bought the Explorer from. He told me that he had 31’s on it but I don’t know... they look good on it but those don’t look like 31’s.
I hope they work out I like the look of them.
Thanks again!

4AB0EDC1-A625-406C-8FF0-DC1D2E70BB2B.jpeg

20B2E9C8-8FEE-4743-B802-7FBB73443EE8.jpeg

Nice looking Ex Sport...Welcome from Henderson.

Thank you! I lived in Henderson twenty years...moved to Vegas a couple years ago.
This is a great site I’ve found a lot of info already!

I have the same but black trim. That looks lifted already. I put on warrior shackles & I just about got to stock height. The rear drooped down in mine. Now it sits about even(a we bit higher in the back) And I had new body mounts all around as well.
If those rims were already on it, it should fit fine. If anything maybe a little trimming at the back side of the wheel well linings.

Yes it does....I knew I should have went bigger then stock size when I bought tires...

Very good looking rig.

They are gnarly, more aggressive looking, and they will help get you to places we all like to go...........................

Ive been looking at those desert hawks for an option for my rig. Awesome looking tire. Im stuck between those, the Pirelli Scorpion Mtrs, and the Crosswind MTs. They all come in about the same price for around $500 a set.

It should be noted that the only rim size that Achilles lists as approved for those Desert Hawks (in 31x10.5R15 size) is 8.5 wide. Some shops might refuse to mount them on the stock 7" wide wheels despite many 31x10.5R15 tires being approved for 7"W.

The 7 inch rims aren’t ideal as it can cause the center of the tires to wear a little faster.

Good info on the rim size.

I picked up a set of 15x8 American Racing Black steel rims for $50 which would be a little better than the stock wheels. For the price its hard to beat the Achilles.

That looks nice! Just wondering, what MPG are you getting with them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks nice! Just wondering, what MPG are you getting with them?
If you are concerned of mileage you don’t drive an Explorer with lift and heavier, larger diameter tires.

Back