• Register Today It's free!

tire size?

Metallica0682

Reaction score
City, State
Gloucester MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
ok so I have a stock 96 explorer I'm lifting it 3"......now my quesion is what size tires and rims will fit after the lift? I'm wanna try to get a decent size maybe 30's or 31's...what sizes would you guys recomend? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your doing 3" body lift, you can squeeze 33x12.5x15s on 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing with little or no trimming of the backs of the front fenders.

if your doing 3" body lift, you can squeeze 33x12.5x15s on 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing with little or no trimming of the backs of the front fenders.

Very detailed... Way to be nice to the noobie!

Metallica, we also have a thread that gives you tire/wheel sizes and required mods for just about every kind of lift imaginable if you change your mind on the type of lift you're doing.

I can't seem to find a decent thread on this. I know there's millions of them, so I'm going to ask. I have a 98 ex and just put 3in shackle lift on the back and got 3in torsion keys for the front. (Not the best way i know but cost effective) I'm curious to know if i can put 31 10.5 15 tires on stock rims and not have clearance issues. If not what would be the biggest tire size I could get for it and not have issues. Im on a budget and trying to do a low cost build.. thanks in advance

I can't seem to find a decent thread on this. I know there's millions of them, so I'm going to ask. I have a 98 ex and just put 3in shackle lift on the back and got 3in torsion keys for the front. (Not the best way i know but cost effective) I'm curious to know if i can put 31 10.5 15 tires on stock rims and not have clearance issues. If not what would be the biggest tire size I could get for it and not have issues. Im on a budget and trying to do a low cost build.. thanks in advance
Failed to mention it is a 2 door 4wd 4.0 vin code x

Yes, with a 3" lift (or in some cases, even with no lift on a non-sagging suspension they will barely... depending on where you're going and suspension articulation...) you can fit 31x10.5. Whether they will wear evenly on stock rims (which are arguably narrow for this size) is open for debate. Some say yes, some say no. There is a topic or three about this.

Check this thread that’s stickied in the Tire and Wheel section

Check this thread that’s stickied in the Tire and Wheel section
Awesome, that was very very helpful

Back