Tire Sizes compatible with PIU wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Sizes compatible with PIU wheels

VADeputy

Reaction score
City, State
Fred, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer PIU
Like the title says need to know tires compatible for the piu thats not the stock 245/55/r18. Trying to find the cheapest as i dont have bad weather here in Virginia.

Thanks
Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's lots of options that will work just fine. There are a lot of places to find deals on new tires if you aren't in a hurry.

You can also find used Goodyear RSA takeoffs with 8/32" tread for around $50 each or less. I've picked up quite a few screws and nails where I drive and most tire shops won't do more than 2 repairs per tire.

You may also want to look at factory takeoffs as you can often get a set of tires and rims ready to go for the same or less than you'd pay for new tires. YMMV.

There's lots of options that will work just fine. There are a lot of places to find deals on new tires if you aren't in a hurry.

You can also find used Goodyear RSA takeoffs with 8/32" tread for around $50 each or less. I've picked up quite a few screws and nails where I drive and most tire shops won't do more than 2 repairs per tire.

You may also want to look at factory takeoffs as you can often get a set of tires and rims ready to go for the same or less than you'd pay for new tires. YMMV.
I heard if you put used tires on it will hurt the ptu. I suppose it has worked fine for you. Thanks for the input

I heard if you put used tires on it will hurt the ptu. I suppose it has worked fine for you. Thanks for the input
That's an interesting take. I wish you the best on your quest.

Peter, what is the reason to not exceed 3% of the OEM diameter? Is that state in Ford literature somewhere, or have users had issues or equipment failures due to this?

thanks
See the last few posts in this thread. Tire Size
Some tire size calculator sites will actually show a warning if you exceed the 3%.

Peter

Back