• Register Today It's free!

Tire swap

Dwood1125

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all! First off I’d like to say thanks for being here! I recently acquired a 2006 Explorer and am looking to possibly make some enhancements to the aesthetics of the vehicle. I’m Looking for an answer to a tire question. Their pretty dry rotted and I’m looking to get new ones I have a set of 265/70 R16 tires available but the tires on it are 245/70 R16. Not knowing the first thing about stuff like this, will these match up or will I have to change the wheels already on it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can put them on there but they might be pretty wide for the wheel but it's impossible to know the wheel width from the information you posted.

You can put them on there but they might be pretty wide for the wheel but it's impossible to know the wheel width from the information you posted.
What other info am I missing?

It's helpful to know the width of the wheel and the offset of the wheel. Is it the stock 16" wheel or is it aftermarket?

I run 265/70/16s on a 16x8 et+25 wheel on my Explorer. It fits perfectly on mine with those wheels but on a higher positive offset wheel there might be some rubbing.

It's helpful to know the width of the wheel and the offset of the wheel. Is it the stock 16" wheel or is it aftermarket?

I run 265/70/16s on a 16x8 et+25 wheel on my Explorer. It fits perfectly on mine with those wheels but on a higher positive offset wheel there might be some rubbing.
Thanks for the reply Chris. It’s running the OEM 16” time. Can’t look right now but believe they’re the 6 spoke factory rims. I hope the pic sends these are them.

0F76FE63-70B5-42C4-A382-BCB121EECE4B.jpeg

Info on them says 16x7 will this be a problem? I appreciate the help btw. Like I mr ruined I know VERY little when it comes to wheels/tires. Definitely not a mechanic.

Well you'd be adding a little more than an inch to the overall diameter to your tire size, and with the stock offset there is a possibility of rubbing when the steering is cranked over all the way. Also you're talking about adding more than 3/4 of an inch of width to your tires. This will cause the sidewall to bulge out from the wheel more than stock.

The short answer is yes you can mount those tires to the stock 16 inch wheels, but there will be some side effects.

thanks a lot bud. I appreciate the info. I’ll take this into consideration. I don’t wanna have any problems so I suppose I’ll just stick with something the same size.

Back