Tire warranty? 9k miles and a slit sidewall! (Pic) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire warranty? 9k miles and a slit sidewall! (Pic)

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
So I was topping off the tire pressure yesterday and saw this giant slit in the sidewall. It still holds air, but the sidewall is bulged around the slit so I know it's weak. Didn't trust leaving it on so I put the donut on.

The sport only has 9k miles. We didn't hit anything, there's ZERO curb rash, ZERO marks on the tire, ZERO marks on the rim, no clue how this could have happened other than a defect splitting open. It's deep too, you can pull on the edge and it's at least 1/4" deep.

Called Ford to see about dropping the tire off and the dealership is already saying it won't be covered, that defects are usually cords showing....well the sidewall is split open right next to a casting seam, and there's NO signs of ever hitting anything. They close at 4:30 too which will make it a royal pain to get there before I'm done work, and I don't feel comfortable having my wife and 4 month old riding around on an undersized donut so we're carpooling to work which is a big inconvience too with the dealership having bankers hours.

Just wanted to get some feedback on this, I know already I'm going to have a fight with the dealership to get it covered. Has anyone experienced this before?

Tire-02.jpg

1032x580xTire-03.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZmUyy7DuG4.jpg

Tire-04.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its pretty clear that is a "defect" in material and/or workmanship, and not due to anything you may have done. You just recently bought this $40k+ vehicle. You're damn right they ought to cover that. It is definitely also an immediate safety hazard. I would not drive another inch on that, as it is a ticking time bomb, waiting to blow out.

Perhaps the dealer just blew you off over the phone because they are assuming, without seeing it, that you did actually hit something. Hopefully, once they see that otherwise pristine sidewall, they will realize its a defect they should cover. You might also try contacting the tire manufacturer for backup. You could also try having it checked at an authorized dealer, for that tire brand. Again, just to have another "expert" opinion as to the nature of the problem.

I would not back down or accept a refusal to cover it, from the dealer. I would keep reiterating the extreme safety hazard this exposed your family to.

I would also carefully check the other 3 tires. With 9,000 miles on them, one new replacement tire MIGHT mess with the vehicle's 4wd/traction control/ABS. I'm not familiar with this new (not a real) Explorer's systems, and how it would cope with one tire being a different circumference. I would first get them to commit to saying that the one is defective, and under warranty, then hammer them hard about having to replace all 4 together, to prevent damage to the drivetrain. It might even be in your owner's manual. Look. If Fords tells YOU to change all 4 tires together, then THEY should have to do the same. I would also demand a new donut spare as well. They have a limited life span of safe use. It says so right on the tire. The defective "regular" tire that they put on your vehicle, and are responsible for, has lead to the necessity of you "drawing down" on the useful lifespan of that donut. They should have to replace that as well.

I checked the other 3 and they look pristine. I'll be keeping a close eye on them. If they had more mileage and wear, I'd be more concerned with having 1 new tire on it, but with only 9k miles and they don't see a beating, they all look pristine. I'd say it's maybe 1mm of tread used up during that time if that? If they had 20 or 30k I'd want to replace a pair at least, but I wouldn't expect Ford to foot the bill for the other. I just want this one covered becuase there's no reason it should be split that bad without having hit anything.

I only put the donut on so I could put the damaged tire in the bed of my Raptor, really hoping not to drive the Sport at all, unless they make us bring it in to verify the mileage on the cluster.

I've had a lot of issues with this dealership in the past, so just trying to prepare a head of time. They treat me pretty bad there, despite the fact that between my 2012 SVT Raptor, our 2013 Explorer Sport, our 2011 Mustang GT, and my sister's 2013 Focus, we've done well over $165k with Ford in the past 2 years alone, but I can say my repeat ford business is NOT due to dealer CS at all. I've had to have Ford Coporate CS get involved on almost every one of the vehicles at some point in time when dealing with this dealership. I'd love to find another one, but with a busy schedule it's tough to drive an hour to a dealership when there's one 15 minutes away.

Contact one of the Ford representatives here. That is definitely not your fault. There's no sign of curb rash or even any sign of over filling the tire. There is a tire warranty that comes with your tires and is stated in the manual.

Just be careful of the dealer arguing that was caused by hitting a pothole.

Honestly, they would be smart just to replace the tire since I don't know how you prove it one way or the other.

Dealerships/Ford do not cover tires, the tire warranty is direct through the tire manufacturer so be prepared for an answer you don't like if you continue to try going through the dealership. Call the manufacturer and ask where their closest authorized service center is for them to look/replace it.

The following excerpt is from the Tire Warranty Guide;

If Hankook Radial Passenger & Light Truck Tires fail as a result of defect
in material and/or workmanship within the First 25% of treadwear, the
tire will be replaced with a new, comparable Hankook tire at no charge
including mounting and balancing charges.

The dealer may try and use the following;

NON ADJUSTABLE CONDITIONS
A. Irregular wear or tire damage due to:
• Road hazards such as punctures, cuts, snags, scuffs, carcass bruises or
impact breaks.

Looking at the pictures I would not classify that as a cut but more of a 'split' from a manufacturing defect.
I recommend showing the pictures to the dealer since the tire has been dismounted and likely doesn't appear to be as bad now.
I would also contact Crystal (FordService) if you don't get anywhere with the dealer.

Peter

The following excerpt is from the Tire Warranty Guide;

If Hankook Radial Passenger & Light Truck Tires fail as a result of defect
in material and/or workmanship within the First 25% of treadwear, the
tire will be replaced with a new, comparable Hankook tire at no charge
including mounting and balancing charges.

The dealer may try and use the following;

NON ADJUSTABLE CONDITIONS
A. Irregular wear or tire damage due to:
• Road hazards such as punctures, cuts, snags, scuffs, carcass bruises or
impact breaks.

Looking at the pictures I would not classify that as a cut but more of a 'split' from a manufacturing defect.
I recommend showing the pictures to the dealer since the tire has been dismounted and likely doesn't appear to be as bad now.
I would also contact Crystal (FordService) if you don't get anywhere with the dealer.

Peter

Is that in the tire warranty guide that's in the manual? I meant to grab it out of the sport before I got in my truck this morning so I could read it over. Definitely going to take it into the dealer with me because they frequently go off of what they think and not what they know and it won't have to be the first time I need to correct them

Is that in the tire warranty guide that's in the manual? I meant to grab it out of the sport before I got in my truck this morning so I could read it over. Definitely going to take it into the dealer with me because they frequently go off of what they think and not what they know and it won't have to be the first time I need to correct them
The Tire Warranty Guide is a separate booklet. It is not part of the Owner's Guide. It contains the warranty info on many brands of tires.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/13tirtw2e.pdf

Good luck with your damaged one.

Peter

I checked the other 3 and they look pristine. I'll be keeping a close eye on them. If they had more mileage and wear, I'd be more concerned with having 1 new tire on it, but with only 9k miles and they don't see a beating, they all look pristine. I'd say it's maybe 1mm of tread used up during that time if that? If they had 20 or 30k I'd want to replace a pair at least, but I wouldn't expect Ford to foot the bill for the other. I just want this one covered becuase there's no reason it should be split that bad without having hit anything.

I only put the donut on so I could put the damaged tire in the bed of my Raptor, really hoping not to drive the Sport at all, unless they make us bring it in to verify the mileage on the cluster.

I've had a lot of issues with this dealership in the past, so just trying to prepare a head of time. They treat me pretty bad there, despite the fact that between my 2012 SVT Raptor, our 2013 Explorer Sport, our 2011 Mustang GT, and my sister's 2013 Focus, we've done well over $165k with Ford in the past 2 years alone, but I can say my repeat ford business is NOT due to dealer CS at all. I've had to have Ford Coporate CS get involved on almost every one of the vehicles at some point in time when dealing with this dealership. I'd love to find another one, but with a busy schedule it's tough to drive an hour to a dealership when there's one 15 minutes away.

What dealer in NJ do you go to?

But that tire booklet should be in the owners case with the manual and the other printed material right? I'll print that one anyway just incase. I forgot last night to look in the glovebox.

I did take another photo, you can peel up the edge and it goes straight downward almost 1/2" deep like the sidewall is delaminating. Not inwards like if you cut the tire with a razor blade, but downwards towards the tread. I'll try to post it later.

alexk, I usually go to Freehold Ford since they're the closest one by me.

here's the 2 pics. You can pull it up even further to see it goes deeper, but I could only do so much for the pic holding the camera with the other hand.

tire-06.jpg

1032x580xtire-06.jpg.pagespeed.ic.22NEkOSZ0V.jpg

I really don't see any other way it could have separated like this other than a manufacturing defect.

But that tire booklet should be in the owners case with the manual and the other printed material right? I'll print that one anyway just incase. I forgot last night to look in the glovebox.

I did take another photo, you can peel up the edge and it goes straight downward almost 1/2" deep like the sidewall is delaminating. Not inwards like if you cut the tire with a razor blade, but downwards towards the tread. I'll try to post it later.

Yes, that booklet should be with the package you received with all the other books and info. At least mine was. The booklet covers many different tire brands so you may want to check the glovebox before printing the online one.
That sure looks like a defect to me. Hope the dealer agrees. If not, you may have to go to a Hankook dealer. Good luck.
Peter

Good luck with the issue. It looks like it follows that seam pretty evenly.

By the look of those two recent pics is looks like Walter White is using your tire to smuggle his product. :)

Buzz

I too took a tire warranty.

If this isn't covered then its not worth the price paid.

Sadly dealers pull this crap all the time.
They promise the moon to get your money and then can't back away fast enough when its time to make good on their promise.

While I like my Explorer and can easily see getting another one, I would greatly look forward to telling the future salesman I don't want anything extra based on previous broken promises and BS from them.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

That tire is actually called a MayPop.

May Pop any minute!

IMO manufacturer defect. No rim rash visible.

I too took a tire warranty.

If this isn't covered then its not worth the price paid.

Sadly dealers pull this crap all the time.
They promise the moon to get your money and then can't back away fast enough when its time to make good on their promise.

While I like my Explorer and can easily see getting another one, I would greatly look forward to telling the future salesman I don't want anything extra based on previous broken promises and BS from them.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.
You paid for a tire warranty? The tires are already covered by the tire manufacturer's warranty.
I don't believe the Ford dealership is responsible for the tires although they may provide assistance in getting it looked after on behalf of the tire manufacturer.

Peter

...that thing is peeling like a banana :thumbdwn::eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like we're actually in the same area, have you tried Larson in lakewood? I've had good experiences there, so has my mother on her fusion and my friend on their focus. I'd obviously like to refer you to the dealer I work at, but I'm out by PA, so Larson is a good local choice.

Back