• Register Today It's free!

Tire Wear Inquiry

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
All, anyone else have a problem getting more than 20k miles out of a set of tires? I'm already on the fourth set of tires in the last say 6 years. I bought the Falken Wildpeak's this last time as they were said to have a harder rubber that would last longer plus a 55k mile warranty. I have almost 19k miles on these tires and they're ready to be changed!

What the hell is it with these vehicles and eating tires?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How often are you getting alignments? Do you corner fast?

That's really low mileage for tires to wear out. Alignment, rotations, and most especially easy driving. But that ain't easy!

If it was me, I'd start by getting a four wheel alignment. And as for "harder" rubber, that generally means poorer traction -- but yes, more mileage. Anyway you look it, 20k is entirely too few miles.

All, anyone else have a problem getting more than 20k miles out of a set of tires? I'm already on the fourth set of tires in the last say 6 years. I bought the Falken Wildpeak's this last time as they were said to have a harder rubber that would last longer plus a 55k mile warranty. I have almost 19k miles on these tires and they're ready to be changed!

Have you ever noticed what the actual alignment specs are of your truck when they finish the alignment? There is a range of acceptable camber for every vehicle, and if they place it on the positive side, it will wear out the outer tire edges faster, than if it is set to the negative camber range. Most alignment shops will not work with you the customer, to make the alignment favor the far negative side of the range.

If you drive easy in corners, the tire wear is likely from worn suspension parts mostly. If you are hard driving in corners, then the alignment will have a big impact on tire wear.

You should be watching the tire wear carefully, any abnormal wear would point to suspension, worn parts, which can cause very fast tire wear. The air pressure is critical too, for adjusting the tire wear for the given vehicle, the tires, and the driving style.

I was thinking that maybe this vehicle had previously been on a frame rack (or needs to go on one). Maybe it's a little out of whack.

For comparison I just replaced the 3rd set of tires (BFG's) on my 05 XLT V8 purchased new in January, 05. At 129k that averages to about 43k per set. It has never been aligned, rotations and rebalance as needed, 90% hi-way miles, conservative driving style. You did not indicate in your post but in my opinion uneven tire wear would point to one of the factors mentioned above.

I don't know, guys! The entire front end was rebuilt with all new ****, tires were regularly balanced and rotated, wear is even across the tread - no signs of any edge wear to be found. It's like the truck was just too heavy and wore the rubber away super quick. My driving style is conservative. My crazy driving days are way over.

I'm just going to buy cheap **** from here on out. Why spend top dollar when in two years the tires are worn to the indicators!

I have moved to Cooper tires since about 2015. I have been getting almost the same lifespan from them, as I did from some Michelin's just before then. I like $100-$120 per tire rather than $160+ each.

Get what you pay for.

I'm on Coopers also, and am happy with them. On the other hand, I tried Toyo's, and had nothing but issues with them.

I have been running Continental tires on all our vehicles for quite a few years. I have no complaints with them. Also, used Cooper tires and had no complaints there either.

I have been running Continental tires on all our vehicles for quite a few years. I have no complaints with them. Also, used Cooper tires and had no complaints there either.
I still have two cars with the DWS Continental's, they are great in the rain, I love that, but the wear is very fast. That's hard to deal with when they sell you(sell you ) one mileage expectation, and it's close to half of that.

Name brand replacement tires are generally NOT the same as one might
purchase from the aftermarket. Some of the 'shlems (Michelin) that are made IIRC in
the Philippines would die just as you described!

I do not know what tires cost the Manufactures Ford, GM, etc. but it used to be about $35-$40
per tire. The tires for the majority of new vehicles (HP cars excluded) are built to different standards
and wear longer so the manufactures encounter less defects per car.

The aftermarket sells tires made with the same molds etc. but, with sub-standard rubber compounds that wear
faster and become noisier as they wear. So to make up the difference in lack of mileage, we will sell you a
warranty that cover the dealer's cost of the tire in case the customer collects on the warranty. OH yes,
all pro-rated!!

I do not know what tires cost the Manufactures Ford, GM, etc. but it used to be about $35-$40
per tire. The tires for the majority of new vehicles (HP cars excluded) are built to different standards
and wear longer so the manufactures encounter less defects per car.
Interesting. I bought my 2002 Explorer from a Ford dealer and negotiated with them to throw in four tires but not to mount them since the tires on the vehicle had some life left in them. They were BF Goodrich and came from the dealer's stock of tires. I remeber them lasting an extraordinary number of miles. Well over 50k which was about 10k more than I typically get from aftermarket tires.

Like someone above said, cut the advertised tire mileage in half.
That'll be the average maximum tire life for most.

Guys, I put the Crosswind AT3 tires on and the damn truck has never ridden better! Low tire noise on the road and it sticks and handles great! #350 for a four tire set! I'll take it!

Back