• Register Today It's free!

Tire Wear

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
On my AWD mounty the tires are starting to wear funny. On one side the tread is sorta pitched to the front, the other to the rear. you can't see it, but you can feel it if you rub your hand flat around the tread of the tire. I just had it line up back in the summer. Would it be back out of line. I put rear bearings in it prior to the alignment and ate a rear set of tires alive so I line it and replaced the rear tires. Now I am noticing this. It isn't deep into the tread, just the very edge of the tread blocks are where you can feel it. I have wondered if it is the very curvy road I drive to work that is 55Mph road and I run it ragged. I am kinda lost in what it may be. Sould I have the alignment redone or what.
STU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, how often do you go off-roading with it? I think it could be time for another re-alignment. The camber could be an issue again if the tires get eaten on one side as you have said. In addition, are you experiencing some steering problems as well? If you are also having a tougher time steering it around, the wheels could be deformed. Just saying that could be a possibility..

I hope this helps!

You should definitely be changing tires 4 at a time. Uneven tire wear and/or unmatching tires will likely lead to premature t-case issues in the future. That goes for AWD and A4WD 3rd gens!

Try an alignment but definitely make sure your tires aren't beyond 1/32" or 2/32" in diameter out of whack from eachother.

The front tire were hardly worn when I put the rears back on. They were detroyed really quick. So I am not worried about that. But I don't off-road too much maybe just some dirt-gravel roads to do some flyfishing. I am not sure what it is. I think it may be the god aweful road I drive to work. I need to take it back where I go it lined and have him look at it. But thanks for the help guys.
STU

Stu, a couple of ideas: Do the wheels need to be balanced? Are the struts/springs shot? Are there other issues with the suspension that could be causing problems?

Just some food for thought.

Thanks Rondo, I may need to check that out.
STU

Back