• Register Today It's free!

Tire ?

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
My AWD Mounty got out of line bad when I put my rear wheel bearings on and destroyed the read tires. My ? is would it hurt to put new rubber on the rear with the old ones on teh front? My front are probably 2/3rds good still. I don't think it would be a problem, just wondering. BTW would you put the new tires ont eh front or rear. I am thinking about putting them on the front. Oh ya I am getting the exact tire so they will be the same exact size minus the wear. Thanks guys.

STU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My AWD Mounty got out of line bad when I put my rear wheel bearings on and destroyed the read tires. My ? is would it hurt to put new rubber on the rear with the old ones on the front? My front are probably 2/3rds good still. I don't think it would be a problem, just wondering. BTW would you put the new tires ont eh front or rear. I am thinking about putting them on the front. Oh ya I am getting the exact tire so they will be the same exact size minus the wear. Thanks guys.

STU

It is not clear to me how replacement of rear wheel bearings alone could result in misalignment causing rapid tire wear, UNLESS the bearing(s) were not seated to their controlled depth when installed.

Driving an AWD with reasonably similar-sized (like, 2/3 good tread on one end of vehicle), should not overheat the viscous coupling (IMO). imp

It is not clear to me how replacement of rear wheel bearings alone could result in misalignment causing rapid tire wear, UNLESS the bearing(s) were not seated to their controlled depth when installed.

Driving an AWD with reasonably similar-sized (like, 2/3 good tread on one end of vehicle), should not overheat the viscous coupling (IMO). imp

He probably loosened up the adjustments when he pulled the knuckle.

He probably loosened up the adjustments when he pulled the knuckle.

You are right, that would do it! My biggest help comes from my Ford Shop Manual; when I did rear wheel bearings, it clearly showed removal of the upper arm ball, lower arm, pivot, and the toe-rod ball. All adjustments stayed right where they always were. imp

Thanks guys going in a few mins to put the 2 tires on. I think I will put the new rubber in the front instead of the rear. Just incase it comes back out no need in burning up another brand new set of rubber. My buddy I think will check the alignment again for me in a while.

STU

Back