• Register Today It's free!

tired and confused. help please.

Spartanrunner89

Reaction score
City, State
Dayton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer xlt
I've been boggling my brains over this issue for the last month. I'm clearly misfiring, down at least one cylinder, blowing white smoke (moderate not severe), and lost my heat. But, my coolant levels are not low, oil levels are fine as well as tansmission, and its not throwing any codes or check engine light. Acceleration has been lost which I attribute to being down at least one cylinder. Any thoughts or where togo from here's are much appreciated.

I would suggest running a KOEO and KOER test to check for any stored codes or if the PCM can detect an abnormal condition. Follow the KOER test with a Cylinder Balance Test, to see if the PCM can tell a certain cylinder is bad.

You can also isolate cylinders by removing spark plug wires one by one as the engine idles and check which one makes no difference. Or, use an infrared temp gun to check for the "cool" spot on the exhaust manifold (noncontributing cylinder).

You need to try to isolate which cylinder is misfiring, assuming it is only one and not a random miss. That will make diagnosis easier.

Once you have which cylinder it is pinned down, check the spark plug for continuity and hairline cracks, or swap it out. Check the plug wire for that cylinder and make sure that spark is getting to the plug. Next would be to check compression and leakdown for that cylinder, and also check the fuel injector wiring is intact. You can use a noid light or any 12v bulb to check fuel injector pulse.

Would an obd 1 reader be able to perform this test out is that something I need to take to a shop to get done?

You can do it even without a code reader, simply by grounding the Self-Test Input connector and counting flashes of the Check Engine Light. A code reader will make these tests much easier though. I use the Innova 3145 LINK HERE, available for under $35 locally, and it includes instructions for performing the tests.

Back