MountaineerGreen

Towing Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
North East Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 F150 4x4
So, less than a year ago, I installed my 4" superlift up front, then shackles, F150 leaf springs plus most of my stock leaf pack. It got me the height, but is stiff.

superliftdone_005_Small_.jpg

Almost a year later, and after towing this, its looking sad.

trucks_010_Medium_.jpg

Here is a picture from today, I have bigger tires, but still looks lower to me.

sag_002_Medium_.jpg

Here is a picture of the leaf spring, notice the top leaf is pulling away from the rest of the pack?

sag1_002.jpg

I thought about getting a long AAL and replacing the nearest sized leaf with it. But, given the condition of the main leaf, I don't think that will get me anywhere long term. The AAL would soon fail because it would be doing most of the work.

So, I am trying to sell the big ole camper and once I do will replace the whole rear leaf pack with a whole new leaf springs. I don't know if I will buy the Superlift springs or have some custom ones made up at Eaton.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been lookin around myself for rear leafs.

I saw some companies on line who will design them to your specs, if you want heavy duty with extra load capacity they will make them for you.

Just do a google search for leaf springs.

I am not going to get extra capacity springs- I don't plan to tow much once I sell my camper, which I hope is soon. I was thinking Detroit-Eaton because Mike Eaton had been really helpful in the past- see the F150 leaf spring mod page for more.

But, I'll look into Deavers or National before I buy anything. I've got to sell the camper to have the funds to do so.

I plan to get about 5" of lift, use my factory shackles, crank the torsion bars some more and make my front tires quit rubbing when braking and turning simultaneously. The coil overs for the front a little later down the line. :D

if you want 5" of lift, why not find some good stock ones or replacement ones and do a SOA? Then you would get more ground clearance.

edit: btw, my main leaf spring is looking like that too... but I'm waiting to replace it until it gets lifted more.

I'm watching also Evan, I want to get new leafs to help with rear bottoming out. I was quoted some amount like $470 in Spring from somewhere.

FYI, the towing height shouldn't greatly affect the truck height, meaning the ball should match the receptacle when mating them. A lot of trucks are towing while supporting a lot of extra weight(ball higher than the trailer). Your truck looks like a good match with that camper, was it that way last year? Regards,

Here is a picture of the leaf spring, notice the top leaf is pulling away from the rest of the pack?

Mine did the EXACT same thing. I also didn't want to put an AAL in b/c it wouldn't help with the top leaf giving up like that. So I pulled out my old Sport mono leaf spring (which had sagged atleast 1" when originally under my Sport)
and installed it to my leaf pack. The Sport leaf is wider than the others, but it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

I'm watching also Evan, I want to get new leafs to help with rear bottoming out. I was quoted some amount like $470 in Spring from somewhere.

FYI, the towing height shouldn't greatly affect the truck height, meaning the ball should match the receptacle when mating them. A lot of trucks are towing while supporting a lot of extra weight(ball higher than the trailer). Your truck looks like a good match with that camper, was it that way last year? Regards,

The truck and trailer is a pretty good match, the weight distribution hitch works very well. I'd highly recommend a weight distribution hitch for any trailer that is heavy or has a large surface area.

WOW... that looks great with the new tires.

I added Monroe Sensa-trac coilover shocks in the rear and it really seemed to help the issue of sagging springs. I gained a full inch (unloaded) in height but my springs are stock. I don't tow much of anything with my Explorer but it sure stands up taller in the saddle. The ride is much better and lane changes are nowhere near as scary.

OH, and yes I am aware this isn't quite the answer to your question but a similar coilover type of rear shock might stabilize the current spring set up by 'helping" the springs...

if you want 5" of lift, why not find some good stock ones or replacement ones and do a SOA? Then you would get more ground clearance.

I thought about SOA, but am not sure about relocating or loosing my sway bar, plus I'd need new shocks again. And with the torque of a V8 and a 4406, I am not sure the springs wouldn't wrap up. :dunno:

I thought about SOA, but am not sure about relocating or loosing my sway bar, plus I'd need new shocks again. And with the torque of a V8 and a 4406, I am not sure the springs wouldn't wrap up. :dunno:

I'm going to be SOA'ing my truck in the next few weeks. You don't need to relocate the rear sway bar, you can just lengthen the sway bar endlinks. With a hack saw and MIG welder (having seen pics of the shop you wrench in, I'm assuming you'd have access to 'em) you should be able to extend them in a few minutes (If not, I can easily do it for you).

Also, you can run the stock shocks (which I plan to do) by using the top hole of your sway bar brackets to mount the shock.

I've been researching it a bunch. After spending this weekend with my sway bar disco'd, driving back through many mtn passes with it off and not really being able to tell that much of a handling difference, I've decided to go for it.

Spring perches were $24 at the local 4x4 shop here (Fort Collins 4x4). I could get you a pair if you want, they're the correct diameter so they don't have to be ground for our axle tubes.

And with the torque of a V8 and a 4406, I am not sure the springs wouldn't wrap up. :dunno:

Oh yeah, every full size truck I've seen (1/2, 3/4, 1 ton) come with the springs SOA from the factory. So I doubt torque wrap is really that much of an issue.

Besides, 410 is running rear SOA + 2" blocks and a mod'd V8 and low range tcase. :)

Humm, I may just find some factory replacements and soa it. I am worried it will be too tall for the front for some reason though. My T bar bolts are almost fully cranked and my LCA's are not "cranked" very much, so I don't know if it would look right. But, I really want to go with coilovers in the front soon too.

Humm, I may just find some factory replacements and soa it. I am worried it will be too tall for the front for some reason though. My T bar bolts are almost fully cranked and my LCA's are not "cranked" very much, so I don't know if it would look right. But, I really want to go with coilovers in the front soon too.

Yeah, I'm going to be removing the rear BL and the AAL when I do mine. I figure I have several options to make the truck level.

the nice thing about an SOA is stock flat springs will retain a smooth factory ride,and flatter springs flex more!

Besides, 410 is running rear SOA + 2" blocks and a mod'd V8 and low range tcase.

In the BII yes, I have Skyjacker 4" rear leafs (have held up really well) and 2" Superlift angled lift blocks. The BII was SOA from the factory.
The BII rear end does wrap up it I punch it, but hey its a BII whaddya want?

The V8 explorer has traction bars on the rear 8.8, they limit travel AND prevent wrap up.

My 96 springs are SHOT, they are de-arched. Luckily I just happen to have a set of 96 leafs with 1/2 the miles on them waiting to be swapped in. If I was gonna wheel my Ex I would ditch the sway bar and the traction bars

i thk i saw an ad in my 4x4 mag the other day may have even been new super lift tt for a f-150 that has lift higher then stock i want to say indexed some how dont thk they mentioned a price or if u can get um for a mountain goat rig or ranger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, my leaf springs are shot, main leaf is de arched as pictured. Currently, my leafs are sitting on the overloads, it rides like a log wagon :(

I dunno what to do. Superlift springs, and factory shackles may or may not be enough. I really want to get away from warrior type shackles, I suspect they contribute to de arching.

OME does not want to make springs for me, I sent them an email asking for a quote.

I sent one to Detroit-Eaton, no response yet.

I am going to find a place for National Springs and see if there are any other manufacturers.

EDIT: Oh my factory traction bars are long gone, I can't tell any difference without them. I'd have to cut/grind off the tabs that they mounted to to do SOA.

Back