• Register Today It's free!

Tires: 15" - 8" vs. 15" - 10"

BSD

Reaction score
City, State
Lethbridge, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4x4 (x2)
So after some online window shopping I'm decided on some Mickey Thompson Classic II 's.
But what about rim width?
After looking around here and getting thouroughly distracted by awesome pictures of Ex's but i cant tell who is running 10" rims? Are there drawbacks to the 10" rim? Cause for the extra cash I would get the suckers. Largest tire going on the ex is 35".
I was impatient and purchased 31x10.50. I know im new here but patience would have allready saved me $1000.00+!!! And I would have the tires I want.

Can these 31x10.50's get mounted on a 10" rim?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't. Most guys run a 15x8 with 3.75" backspacing up to 35s. 15x10 is pretty wide and will rub your fenders a lot more.

Search the gallery as well, tons of photos in there.

Basically what most guys go by is you're tire should be no more than 4.5 inches wider than your rim. So with a 12.5 inch wide tire it is recommended you run a 8 - 12 inch wide rim. But like Dannyboy said the bigger your tires/wheels are the more they will rub.

I'm running a 15x8 wide wheel with 35s and a 10in wide wheel maybe a bit much for a 31x10.50

re: 10" ers

Thanks! I had wondered about the clearance issues that could arise. I will stay with the 15x8's then.

(back to the pics) :D

Well I Have a 1994 Xplorer that has a stock suspension and i was able to put 31x10.5 inch tires on it. The tires rubbed a little when i cut the wheel hard but i just unbolted the inner wheel well and pushed it back a inch and rebolted it. Know everything works fine. :D

i ran 31x1060s on 15x8 w/ 3.75 and i didnt rub with a 2/3in suspension lift

i am now runin 35x1250s on 15/10 i wunna say close to 4in backspacing w/ a 7/8.5in suspension lift. rub on minor compression but for the most part pretty good but they will tuck if i wheel

15 x 8 with 31's.

Stock suspension

IMG_0624.jpg

can anyone tell me how to post pics? i have some good ones of my old tires

upload your pics to photobucket.com or the like and copy the "direct link" and payste it In a window you can bring up in the "go advanced" editor by clicking in a small picture in the tool bar.

Back