Tires and rims, time for a change! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires and rims, time for a change!

Figure I would finally re-invest in the feet that makes my travels enjoyable. My sights are set on the following rim specs.

Rim:
17" x 9
+24 offset
Tire:
265x55x17R

Given the overall size I should a little bit lower of a body line as well. Which I am prepared for. Though, my main concern is the offset. I could not find an exact number yet, but it seems that stock offset is +12? since I am increasing the overall width by an inch and doubling the offset. I should be able to clear dust caps and ee sway bars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone looking at this post, just a word of the wise. Ensure your center hub bore is correct all the way through the rim. Ford OEM (saleen, cobra) are created with a 70.6 hub bore all the way through. Replica's are not, and often adhere to mustang 70.3.

What does this mean?
Wheels from cruzinconcepts.com and americanmuscle.com will not fit (for the most part) without some machining.

ouch. Hate to find that out the hard way. Those are pretty wide rubbers. Obviously not a winter thing.

Dono buddy, they solved so many problems I was having compared to my old rims. When I can get my hands on some center caps I'll post a pic. Now if I could only stop warping belts. I have belts squeak from a pretty tight belt and I am starting to think its my after market idler pulley.

Traction issues? hahaha. Im hoping to have a bit of that issue myself.

You might be right on the idler pulley thing. I have some noises myself. I replaced every pulley with a bearing. Did water pump just to be safe.

Dumb question, but did you try a different belt? I had a belt that I slopped just a little bit of coolant on, and I ended up replacing it as I couldn't stop it from squeaking. I wouldn't have believed it.

Looking forward to a pic showing off your rubber.

using a 6k938 belt currently. had 2, so I went to back to one I had laying around. The last belt didn't squeak but felt like there was a loss in power when I bought the new one. Now, since it was mildly cool this morning and I had mild squeaking. It went away now that its heated up. Though, if I gas it I get some squeal with some pretty gnarly belt stretch. Keep in mind I have 7psi MAX pulley currently. The previous owner had this on a ranger and used the pulley on the blower as the idler for the truck which I am not too keen on doing.

As for traction, took my in-laws for a drive with the new setup and the truck wanted to stay sideways with brand new rubber. keep in my it was a "burp" to just over 3k rpm. everyone was holding on their chest and door handles.

try the gatorback 4060945. I used an ac delco, and it gave me nothing but grief before tearing its self up.

Ive had great luck with the gatorbacks, but they sure don't like coolant on them. While you are hearing the squeaking, can you get a screwdriver on the various rotating areas and listen?

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128

well I am curious to know if this was due to an issue I had with the water neck. Which leaked water when it was cold out. Now if that is the case than may be why it doesn't make the noise with the new'ish non-stretched one? Also had an idle problem due to how much I stretched the belt. Going back to the coolant comment, I run water+water wetter. not sure if it would have the same effect as coolant. Is this a stock belt or shorter than stock for your m90?

I can't answer you on the water wetter. You might be on to something there. Im running the amsoil water wetter.

Maybe it wasn't the coolant, but the water wetter that did it to me also? I really don't want to experiment, since each belt is $50.00.

I scrubbed my belt with soap and water, tried cleaning it with some carb cleaner....nothing worked. Try a new belt. Using various manufacturers cross reference charts, you can get the next size up in belt if you need to.

The belt I was using before where I thought I had some slipping is working. Its not stretched or warped. I get squeaks at startup (once again mildly cold) and they go away till I accelerate. If I idle I am fine, I popped the hood this morning and looked at my aftermarket idler (from underdog performance). It is the smooth style that doesn't guide the belt. I think this is the issue as I can see the belt does not sit on the pulley like a stock would. Since I ditched my over-drive and under drive setup I am just going to ditch the blue pulley. I have a goodyear tensioner also on the way in case this dayco tensioner pulley is the issue. I know the pulley on the alternator is not the one for the specific alternator, so really I may end getting a 200amp or 240amp depending on Mr. Alternator ever getting back to me.

Back