Tires and wheels | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires and wheels

I am thinking about upgrading my wheels to 16 inches and of course getting new tires. I am interested in getting performance type tires instead of the regular truck type tires. Has anyone had any experiences with putting performance tires on an Explorer? Which brands and models are the best for an Explorer?

Thanks...

soft compound tires roll a lot in corners and the weight eats the tires up when cornering also. I'd choose a tire with a stiff sidewall and more of an off terrain tread for it's durability.

Try the Bridgestone Dueler H/Ls. I have a set on my Tacoma and they made it handle much better, especially in the rain. They also worked great in all the snow we had this winter. I will put some on my X when it needs tires.

The kind of tires I am talking about are like the Toyo Proxies that I have seen in pics on this site. I dont think I will get the Toyos, but tires similar in design to them. I have also seen these type of tires on Expeditions as well. So they must be capable of handling the weight of a vehical like an SUV.

Any advise on which brands to consider for use on an Explorer?

michael

Back