• Register Today It's free!

Tires for 1999 Explorer

hawkk72

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Any cons to putting Goodyear rt/s tires on my Explorer? Size is 255/70/16.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

for my money, it's hard to beat a set of Michelin's. they wear like iron. mine will probably outlast my truck.

I agree. However these are for sale for a good price. Just wanted to make sure they were ok to put on the Explorer without any safety issues.

my 2000 Mountaineer AWD had a set of Goodyears on it. we got rid of them pretty quick. i didn't like the ride or the handling with the Goodyears

When I got my Explorer, it had the RT/S on it. Held air? Yes. Feel safe? Not really due to:

-Drove over some road irregularities, and the rear end felt like it was floating to either side.
-Tires were dismal to mediocre in any road conditions.

If you want further proof to look elsewhere, look at the reviews on TireRack.

I keep hearing the Michelin LTX M/S2's are by far the best tires to get and those are the one I just had installed on my explorer. Very smooth and quiet. I really surprised myself this weekend while towing an ATV on a small utility trailer when I looked down at the speedometer and it read 85 MPH. I guess I used to go by the feeling of my old tires to gauge speed. The truck just runs so smooth now on the highway.

If you don't want to spend 800+ on a new set of tires, I've also heard really good things about the General Grabber HTS tires. Those were the ones I was originally going to go with until Sears messed up my order.

i bought my truck with good year wrangler radials 235 75 15s and they have been pretty good so far.. granted i dont have much experience with other tires but i like my handling and it seams to go through the snow and ice very well..

I'm trying to decide between two tires. One is the General Grabber AT2. I've heard decent things about them. The other is the Kendall Klever A/T, which I've never heard of but is a lot cheaper. Anyone have any thoughts?

The M/S Michelins are a graceful, smooth well built tire. I had them on a previous explorer. I have Goodyear Wrangler Territories on this one, which are an 80psi tire. Running them @ 50psi.. Noisy and heavy but man do they grip.

There is a $70 rebate on the Generals...

If you don't want to spend the money on the Michelins, I'd recommend the Generals. The reviews and road tests on them look excellent. They seem to be right up there with the Michelins at a much lower price. I would not skimp on tires. They are one of the most important parts of the car.

Both the Michelins and Generals have a $70 rebate right now.

We've run Firestone (originals), Goodyears, BFG Long Trail, and the Michelin (we're on the 2nd set) on my wifes 99 Eddie Bauer.

Michelins are hands down the best ride, no noise, longest lasting. Sure they cost more, but worth it in my opinion.

Appearance means a lot to me as well. I could easily get a set of ur typical "all season radials" but would rather the vehicle leaned toward the truck look and away from the station wagon look... lol

If that's the case, I've also heard good things about the General Grabber AT2. They cost more then the HTS', make more noise and are less comfortable, but you have to expect all that with a truck off roadish tire. I personally don't mind the highway tire look, especially since I have the air ride which makes the truck sit lower than non air ride trucks. Most trucks see 99%+ pavement and are usually coated in wax, not mud. The mud and snow ties are there for that 1% of the time. :D

Oh, and didn't anyone tell you. The term station wagon is now considered politically incorrect. The correct term is now "crossover." :rolleyes: I am somewhat saddened that the new Explorers are now a monobody.

I am somewhat saddened that the new Explorers are now a monobody.

I hate them..

And, I love how everyone's going straight for the A/T tires.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle GT II's on my truck. 255/70/15.
Give it a nice wide stance and perform great. Even grip well off road. Obviously not for off roading, but they hold up well.

Oh, and didn't anyone tell you. The term station wagon is now considered politically incorrect. The correct term is now "crossover." :rolleyes: I am somewhat saddened that the new Explorers are now a monobody.

LoL yea... well I'm old so they will remain station wagons in my mind.

Thanks for the reassurance on the AT2s

I really like my Firestone Destination LE2's. Nice ride, pretty sturdy. I also really liked my old set of Destination A/Ts. Bad balljoints killed those however... :(

We've run Firestone (originals), Goodyears, BFG Long Trail, and the Michelin (we're on the 2nd set) on my wifes 99 Eddie Bauer.

Michelins are hands down the best ride, no noise, longest lasting. Sure they cost more, but worth it in my opinion.

That's and they will actually save you money over the life of the tires in fuel savings, yeah they are a little more, but gas is gas. I think its on the Michelin site but they save you 150-200 gallons x $3.60, well you do the math.
Man do they roll nice and great grip in the slop too.

Some of the tires mentioned above, take aook at how much in weights are added to the wheel to balance them, with the Michelins on my truck there is less than a 1/4 oz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a good look at the hankook HTs...or ATs.

great tires.

:salute:

Back