Tires for Prerunner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires for Prerunner

I've been looking at tires for my truck to run out in the desert. The new radial baja claws caught my attention along with the baja belted. Both the tires look like they would do well in the desert with sand. But how would the boggers do? Or just the regular muds would you think do alright? I'm not worried about cost, because these are going to be a second set of rims and tires for when i go offroad. Also i'm looking at maybe a 31/12or 13/15. Looking at a little wider tire for the sand. Any help or input would be much appreciated.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Flowmaster 2 chamber 2.25"
KKM intake
Clears all the way around
4.11 gears w/Auburn posi

The tire you choose really depends on the typ of desert. Most deserts have actually more rocks and nasty plants than sand, even the Sahara! On sand, MT's is the worst you can choose, because they just dig in. On rocks & gravel they are obviously good because strong, specially on the sidewalls. But you will generally be a lot better of with AT's.
If you want to invest in a extra set of special desert tires, look at the Good Year G82 as a good compromise for the desert, for sand as well as rough stuff. Also the Pirelli Dakar and the undestructable Michelin XCL should be mentioned. No matter which tires you choose, don't forget your Hi-lift jack and a pair of sand ladders, as well as ...

Good luck and tread lightly

[This message has been edited by donkey boy (edited 05-04-2000).]

Back