• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Tires&Tires?

John 333

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
95 XLT Explorer I'm looking to replace my tires and would like to know what you people would reccomend. I use my Explorer mainly on a rural mail route in the winter when the snow flies. I have a set of Nokia's on it now. These are great winter tires but are noisy for everday highway use. I would like to get a tire that is less noisy but also has good winter/snow traction. I have heard good things about the Cooper Discovery tire. I can get a set of them for $70 a tire. The Nokias were $95 a tire 4 years ago. So what tires do you people like? Goodyear,Michelin,Bridgestone,etc.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
You will probably get a bunch of opinions on this subject. I have always used Michelins, and haven't had any problems. You may want to check out tirerack.com, they do a good job of comparing tires and giving customer's opinions.

Also, in that price range. I have Dunlop Grandtreks on my F-150, and Dunlpop Radial Rovers on one of my company Xs. I have only used them for about 20K, but have been really impressed so far. I could get those locally for about $78 a tire (mounted and balanced).

Was anyone else used Dunlops? What did you think?

RObb

Skugga

Reaction score
City, State
Boyertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
I like the Michelin M/S tires I have on my X now. They ride nice and on the highway. I can't hear any noise from them over the wind noise. I never had any problems with them in the snow but we didn't have a really bad winter since I got them.

morrisey, do you take your X wheeling? I like the tires I have now but I want to go wheeling this summer and was thinking about get ATs. I wanted to find out if the Michelins are good or if I should go with BFG.

Carl :usa:

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Carl,
I don't do much rootin' except for the occasional rough construction site. I don't have any experience with BFGs.

BTW: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Robb

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
I think the best tire for a "daily driver" explorer is definitely the Michelin LTX M/S, it's a fine tire.

rvitek

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wauconda, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT 5.0
My X came with BFG Radial Long Trail T/As and I must say, I can't break them when wet or dry, and only when I drive like an idiot can I break them when it's snowing out. They're quiet, and look sweet too :)

Believe it or not, Consumer Reports rated it 2nd right behind the Toyo M410s, but the difference between the two is over $20 a piece. But then I guess, when your life is literally riding on them, what's an additional $80?

Good luck!