To all those with auto-dimming mirrors! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To all those with auto-dimming mirrors!

JHL981

Reaction score
City, State
Daytona Beach, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Tremor
Hey guys, I recently put an auto dimming mirror in my Ranger to match my Overhead Console. Now Ive put an auto dimming mirror from a Gen 1 explorer, and now Im testing one from a 1997, which I think is a gen 2. My question is, will the auto dimming only work when the "auto lamp" slider is on. Or will it work without the slider on. Im confused and maybe someone can help. I know on the Gen 1 auto dimming mirror there is a button for the auto dimming. The Gen 2 one that I have has no buttons. Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The autodimming will work with the switch in off. That slider switch is only for the Autolamp system if you have it wired up to the headlights. The slider has no effect on the mirror dimming.

it depend's on the mirror you got to..i will get a pic of mine..it's differnt then XLT auto dim's..mine actually has a on/off for the autodim

It does depend on what kind of mirror you got. '93-early production '96 Explorers...XLT, Eddie Bauer, or Limiteds, have more of a rectangular shaped mirror with buttons (Auto Mirror, Dim, and Autolamp On-Off switches, and a slider for headlight off delay) along the bottom of the mirror. While the late '96-'01 (4-door) or late '96-03 (Sport/Sport Trac) have more of an oval shaped mirror with only a slider at the bottom. That version of mirror has no on-off switches for dimming nor headlamp delay.

To your question, if I read it correctly, you have the 1st gen mirror, which is the rectangular shaped mirror with 3 buttons and a slider switch. If so, then your auto dimming function will only work IF you turn it on. So you have the press the button on the left in order to turn it on. Once you press the button, the green LED will be lit, telling you that the mirror is functioning. You can test it out by placing something dark such as your hand at the front of the mirror sensor (facing the windshield) and shine a light at the sensor that is on the mirror (facing the rear). If the "Dim" button lights up, then you will see the mirror progressively dims itself. If it doesn't light up, it's either the mirror is broken, or it's not dark enough for it to function. Note: The mirror will only function when the sensor at the front of the mirror senses darkness. The mirror will not work in daylight, eventhough the auto dimming function is switched on.

The "Dim" button will temporarily dims your mirror to the maximum degree. It usually last about a minute. This function will work at anytime, whether the mirror was switched on or not.

The "Autolamp" button will let the sensor at the base of the mirror (at the windshield) to sense darkness. If it senses darkness, then the headlamps, parking lamps, and your interior dash lightings will be switched on, just like you were turning the headlights on yourself. The slider is the delay for headlights. The headlights can be switched off as soon as 3 seconds to as long as 3 minutes.

If you're in daylight and get into garages or stuck under a bridge, your headlights will not be automatically turned on until you're under there for at least 30 seconds. This will prevent any shorts in the wirings or decreasing the life of the bulbs.

I hope this explaination is clear. If it doesn't make sense, please reply. I'm very very sleepy...3 hours of sleep last night from studying may not help me type as well today. :p

Oh, you got me wrong. I have a gen 1 laying around. Mine is the oval shaped one with just the slider. It has a slider and a little green light next to it. Thats the one im trying to figure out. The one I have currently is one from a Gen 2 explorer. Probably a 1997, its oval shaped and has the slider.

Well...if that's the case. If I remember correctly from my aunt's '99 Limited, the mirror will still dim even when the slider is all the way to the left (autolamp disabled).

Okay, cool, ive tried both auto-dimming mirrors. And they both seem to be really sensitive to light, I mean, this is the first time ive had an autodimming mirror in any vehicle. And it only seems to dim under extreme light, I thought it would dim more. Is all that normal??

I have a slider on my mirror in the 98X. That slider is ONLY for the headlights. What it does is keeps them on longer after I depart the vehicle. The function that you are speaking of, dimming the mirror at night also has another part that is connected around the windshield. It is the sensor on mine and detects night/day. But my mirror does not look like the one they sell on Explorer Express. Does your mirror look like that one or is it different?

HotDogs

For me, the dimming is perfect. Any darker will make things very difficult to look out.

Back