• Register Today It's free!

To buy or not?

deegaw11

Reaction score
City, State
BA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport
Recently went to look at 1 owner 99 sport with a 5spd. She is an older lady and didn't drive it much. It currently has 139k and she had the heads rebuilt 3 years ago because it over heated and since then she purchased a new vehicle and put maybe 1000 in 3 years. Says she drives it like once a month.

When I first fired it up it was about 5 degrees that day and it had a very noticeable piston slap. The sound eventually went away after I drove the vehicle. The clutch is also original and the pedal felt sticky so I assume it has air in it. The idle seem ok and the rpm was steady but you can feel vibrations on the steering wheel assuming it is a old car. The gas was also low and the tires were under flated but besides that it drove decent.

I'm considering buying it but I doubt she maintained it well. She said she only took it to a shop when something breaks and her husband did all the oil changes.
Is there still a lot of life left with 139k miles? It's going to be my daily mostly. How much do you think I should pay tops for it? I offered her 2k and she accepted my offer. Thanks and appreciate any answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dee, this is the sport trac sub forum. They did not make our vehicles in 1999. You might get a better response in t he ranger explorer forum for your year.

No harm done, just start another one there so you have the best chance of getting the info you need.

For $2000 I think you can do better. That vehicles sounds tired.

Back