To get the rims or to not get the rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To get the rims or to not get the rims

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So, I can pick up four Explorer Limited rims from a local wrecker.

Rimsv2_zps1316decf.jpg

They are clean, no scratches. The one in the pick is obviously dirty.
Same tire size as I have now. The 17".

I don't really need them, but I can get them for $25.00 each.

Anyone have an opinion on the way they look. I've never really been excited about them. Now if they were 20 - 22" maybe. Anyway, the price is certainly cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on people! 12 views with zero opinions? This is an opinion piece. You either did or didn't like the Limited rims. Just looking for opinions. An extra voice that says 'go ahead, spend the money,' or 'don't do it! They're ugly!.'

i think they'd look good.. i've always liked that style ..

I would probably buy them. I'm sure they'd clean up nicely.

get em and plasti dip black

Go for it!!

Personally I don't like that style of rim in the Powder coat model... the chrome is ok to me. For the price I think I would buy them. Why not if you don't like them just resell...no biggie

I would get them do whatever to them an strip out the sensors I been kicking around idea of Rims an tires but then ad the pricey lil sensors to that! Allways good to have fullsize spare wheels around with tires them sensors are a bonus the TPS cheap ones for 4 of them are close to the $100 alone an rims plus tires go for it if ya get the lugs throw in even better!!

Yeah I was hoping it would be an overwhelming "don't get them." I've already spent some money there. But, as suggested, I'm sure I could easily sell them if I decided to. It'll be Saturday before I go back. Murphy's law, they'll be gone.

Yeah I was hoping it would be an overwhelming "don't get them." I've already spent some money there. But, as suggested, I'm sure I could easily sell them if I decided to. It'll be Saturday before I go back. Murphy's law, they'll be gone.

Just saw an EX with those rims today.. I actually quite like them. If I had 17in rim tires I would consider going back to a chrome look on mine with those rims...

FWIW

They came on my explorer, i liked them. They looked really clean for stock rims.

So the rim in the pic, is a true rim. However, the other two where 'metal' covers on the rim. Never seen it before, and don't know what was underneath. And I'm not talking a hub cap. Anyone else seen this? Guy at the yard said Dodge does this with their rims.

So the rim in the pic, is a true rim. However, the other two where 'metal' covers on the rim. Never seen it before, and don't know what was underneath. And I'm not talking a hub cap. Anyone else seen this? Guy at the yard said Dodge does this with their rims.

Yup, dodge puts a plastic cover over the metal rim. Idk why though and didn't know ford did this

Hmm lets get this straight you have the chance to get a set for 25 a piece? I would be all over that. Even if you don't end up putting them on the x, which that rim looks great when installed btw you could clean em up and sell em for way more than that. Not to mention that someone above already covered that it is nice to have some full size spares lying around God forbid anything happens.

If you don't get them I will :) You can always resell them

Get em and I'll buy them from you.

The Ltd rims are all chrome cover over the steel rim - I think you'll find they're all like that (some of them have a very good bond and look to be one piece).

These are the same rims I have on my Ex, and I have a full spare set also - I didn't realize they were covers either until I looked more carefully at one hat had some damage on the lip.

I painted mine black and put some 265/65/17 Mickey Thompson STZs on them - looks great, IMO.

Yeah I was just disappointed that they weren't what I'd thought them to be. Buzz kills have a way of changing your desires. If they are still there, I'll have to think about it. Waiting for some 20-22's off a Edge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My old mountaineer had the plastic covers on the rims. They were like pressed on and after a while starting coming off

Back