To know or not to know? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

To know or not to know?

BigBadWimp

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
This one's for all the guys/ gals who've already had or are having a child. Did you find out whether it was a boy or girl or did you leave it a surprise for birth? My wife and I have an appointment for an ultrasound (well, I guess only my wife does, I'll just be tagging along :p ) and we've pretty much decided that we want to find out. For all you guys/ gals who've already had this experience, did you find out or not and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Congratulations.

I did not know when my son was born; I just wanted a healthy child.

Robb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
We found out at the 20 week ultrasound.

It never made sense to us why to wait for the surprise. Buying clothes, toys, etc (and painting/decorating a nursery) is so much easier if you know what the kid is going to be.

BigBadWimp

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Yeah, that's our same reasoning. Also, we're pretty impatient people. :rolleyes:

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
We wanted to find out, but she woukldn't show us. Silly kid was self conscious even before she was born and had the area under cover.

I knew I would have a girl though. It was told me long ago at a Beltane gathering, and I had no reason to doubt that bit of prophesy.

BigBadWimp

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
dreamr said:
I knew I would have a girl though. It was told me long ago at a Beltane gathering, and I had no reason to doubt that bit of prophesy.

I've had three dreams in which the baby has been a boy. So has my sister. It's only a matter of proving it. ;) Of course, the dreams I had about being on Double Dare when I was a kid never came true... :(

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
We went the surprise route. Like Al, we just wanted a healthy child. When we found out my wife was pregnant, both my wife and I had the gut reaction that we were going to have a girl, and we did.

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Ultrasound is not a 100%, could look like a boy and end up being a girl, if your young it makes no diff.
We were a little older with our last child, (mid 30s) so an amnio was done, girl child without question.
Wish you the best, am certain the kiddlett will be all you hope for.

BigBadWimp

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
spindlecone said:
Ultrasound is not a 100%, could look like a boy and end up being a girl

Yeah, my mom-in-law has already been scaring me with a story about her friend who had two ultrasounds that confirmed that it was a girl and then, sure enough, it came out a boy!

I'll be uber-excited either way, it doesn't matter what the gender is...

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
we did the ultrasound, but it wouldn't have mattered either way. I know it was a girl the sec she told me she was preggo. Just kinda fell into a groove and guess the sex of the next 4 kids born in my unit. ;)

:chug: :chug:

spindlecone

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
BigBadWimp said:
Yeah, my mom-in-law has already been scaring me with a story about her friend who had two ultrasounds that confirmed that it was a girl and then, sure enough, it came out a boy!

I'll be uber-excited either way, it doesn't matter what the gender is...
All will work out, downside of girl kids is over 18 years, they cost more,
than as daddy you got all the boy stuff starting at about 14, but thats the wife problem :D

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
BigBadWimp said:
This one's for all the guys/ gals who've already had or are having a child. Did you find out whether it was a boy or girl or did you leave it a surprise for birth? My wife and I have an appointment for an ultrasound (well, I guess only my wife does, I'll just be tagging along :p ) and we've pretty much decided that we want to find out. For all you guys/ gals who've already had this experience, did you find out or not and why?

We had some issues early on in the pregnancy and needed to get an amniocentesis done. With an amnio, they can tell you with 100% certainty the gender of the baby. With ultrasound, it's not always obvious. We had a choice and we wanted to know. We found out we were having a little boy by week 15. Soon after, we named him, but never referred to him by name (only intials) until he was born. We told people we were having a little boy, but didn't share his name until the big day.

We've met a ton of people lately through prenatal classes etc that are split about 75:25 on wanting to know/not wanting to know. It's a personal decision. Whatever feels right, go for it. Personally, I was glad to know.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
aldive said:
I just wanted a healthy child.

I hear ya. We received the scare of our life at the week 12 ultrasound. Because of my wife's age, they had us in for a scan pretty early. The news wasn't good at all and they prepared us for the worst, educating us (and even pushing)the "termination" option. At one point we had less than a 10% chance of having a healthly baby and not much better chance of him even surviving. Was the most trying and most stressful time of my entire life. He bucked the odds, and by week 18 he was given a clean bill of health and suddenly the odds swung in his favour. Didn't make the remaining 22 weeks any easier. On the day he was born, there were some pretty common complications in-utereo (heart-rate fluctuations due to cord compression) and I was scared silly. What an amazing feeling when they finally got him out and within a minute he was in my arms and as healthy as can be. My desktop is still a very memorable photo taken of my wife and I with Chris, only minutes after he was born.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
they are right about it being a girl most of the time, if they say its a girl.... however, sometimes it does happen that a boy looks like a girl, but is very rare.....

i jsut had a duaghter... shes sooo cute... i knew around the 20th week mark that she was going to be a girl

bipolarbob

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
jimabena74 said:
they are right about it being a girl most of the time, if they say its a girl.... however, sometimes it does happen that a boy looks like a girl, but is very rare.....

I hear there are a couple of members here like that..... ;) :p

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
No matter what sex the child is, being a father ( or I reckon a Mother ) is bar none, the greatest thing in the world.

I wouldn't trade anything for my son's:

learning to scuba
first fish
first Quale
first sporting clay trophy
first Jeep
first engine rebuild
Eagle Scout award
Scuba Instructor
college degree

davidmmm69

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
this was going to my one and only and i was praying every night that it would be a boy had many ultra sounds down to make sure.
i am now 35 and my son is 3 and my wife is just 21 and needless to say i am so happy it was a boy and took care of me having any more lol...
she is happy also with just one..
my wife has 2 sister one is 13 and one is 15 adn after seeing how they are meaning how they have sprouted WOW!!! I am sooooo glad I have a boy....

bipolarbob

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna,British Columbia,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
If you have a 21 year old wife WTF are you doing playing on the computer? :eek:

BigBadWimp

Reaction score
City, State
Beaver Falls, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
^heh heh heh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

davidmmm69

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
2010 Ford Explorer V6 Fall River Ma...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
bipolarbob said:
If you have a 21 year old wife WTF are you doing playing on the computer? :eek:

because it is 9:40 at night and the 3 yr old just went to bed,her older sister is staying her with us and i leave to go to work at 10:15pm.

Just because she just turned 21 doesn;t mean she is wanting to be inbed all the time.
although it would be nice