• Register Today It's free!

To Lift or Lower....

mshuler009

Reaction score
City, State
Centerville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Ok, I've posted many how to threads on here before, and this time I need some suggestions from you guys. Right now I have a 98 explorer with stock suspension. I have rear spring sag in the rear, and it sits an inch or so lower in the rear. Because of me being in tech school my budget is a little on the tight side until I graduate. My dilemma is this: do I get lift shackles for the rear and adjust the front torsion bars to level/lift it? Or do I play with it on a weekend and see just how low I can go? This is a 4wd truck, but I don't really use it that often. Maybe a 4wd to 2wd conversion? Post your suggestions/ideas! Here's a pic of the truck....<BR><BR>
l_ef859c0894a14f1fa0d237795700b111.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know it's an old saying but it's all the reason you need for your choice...

"Fat Chicks Can't Jump!"

Great color, never saw that b4. Nice clean looking truck.

Wow, I really like that color. What is the paint color and code please?

That is a fine looking truck.

If you just want to play with the looks, I suggest lowering it for an impact. Lifting a truck can get very expensive and will cause a lot of premature wear to parts. Keep that sucker on the street. :thumbsup:

If that is a stock color, I'd say leave it as it is and keep it bone stock as it would be a rare vehicle.

It's not a stock color. I painted it myself and did a how to diary sort of thing on here about it. Click Here. I think I'm going to use a shackle set to lift the rear and level the truck, then lower it and line it up at work....

if i were you i would not lift that thing! around here wheelin means scratches and dents no matter what you do and seeing as how you just painted that i wouldnt do that. lower it a tastefull amount, get some cobra Rs on it or your choice of wheels. intake, exhaust, and maybe down the road when you have more cash get a tuner and some headers and maybe some other stuff and your good to go.

I'd say just get some new wheels and maybe some 31 or 32" BFG ATs and some shackles. 1 or 2 inch lift, looks a little more aggressive, but not much different than stock as far as wear and tear goes. Lowered looks dumb unless you really customize it a lot, ie blacked completely out or something.

Great color, never saw that b4. Nice clean looking truck.

x2! i think it would look good either way. but i think you should lower it. you could always lower it, then if you dont like it, try lifting it. all you need to do is turn the adjusters to get the front down. then for like $30 you can get a 2"-3
" lowering blocks with u-bolts from autozone.

Back