To rally or not?? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

To rally or not??

boostranger

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Grande, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
For the 3rd year in a row i attended the SCCA Pro Sno-drift rally in Atlanta, MI.www.sno-drift.org I have been interested in enetering this event from day one but never had the $$$ to get a car together. 2 nights ago we got dumped with snow so i was out at like 2 in the morn doin donuts and powerslides and i realized that my X is quite possibly the best vehicle i have driven as far as playin in the snow is concerned. Extremely controlable and slidable. so now i am thinkin saftey cage, seats and harnesses and entering in some local club rallies to gear up for next years sno-drift. I have a 91 4 door xlt, how do you think the transfer case will hold up to this kind of high speed abuse? Most of them will be run on dirt and gravel roads with speeds ranging from 30-80 and a select few will be winter snow covered rallies. looking for advise on setup, possible breakage, etc.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Tranny would take most of the abuse, especially if its an automatic, and I don't know how the 4.0 would be for running rallys, its not a high reving race engine by any means, but it could be run just to go out and play.

<

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
wow? a rally race X? i've been wanting to join a rally race for some time now.. i've been through the backroads with a couple of my frenz in different cars.. my mounty v8 can pretty much keep up with alot of them.. where you from and how would i be able to enter?

<

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
uh, i think the 4x4 manual says you arent supposed to operate the 4x4 in speeds over a certain point.... not sure what that point is though, but 80 is probably too high.....

<

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
yeh, jims right.. at about 75 the car feels kinda crazy doin that shiet... thats wher it goes from fun to dumb! but doin a drift on dirty road at 35 is fun.. but at 75.. no way our X's could take it...

<

boostranger

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Grande, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Yea i was kinda figureing the trans would be a weak point, especially considering it is the orig with 155,000 on it, and i wasn't too conscerned with the revs, this motor seems to have plenty of torgue and thats kinda what i would want. As for the transfer case is concerned i didn't think it would work too well but it was worht the feedback, i can always slap it it 2hi and go nuts i really only think 4hi would be required in the snow rallies anyway and i won't be hittin 80 on any of them. We will see what happens, i am gonna build the cage here at school when i take the fabrication courses so its not like i need to drop alot of $$ on useless stuff.

Only reason i even thought about it was because there has been a CJ that has competed all 3 years and done pretty well. got some sort of v8 in it but suspension looks stock. i figuered running in a stock class might be fun, not out to win just have fun.

Clarkkent: go to SCCA.com and there are links to the varios types of racing. i know there is at least one division in CA so check into that division for schedules and info. also Pro rally is coming to Palmdale CA May 2-3 for Rim of the World rally so you might want to check that out.

Thanx for all the input, this is an awsome sight and keep up the great work

<

boostranger

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Grande, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
just had a thought, would one of the AWD transfer cases from the awd v8 x's bolt to the back of my trans? if so even f i had to make driveshafts that would solve that problem. Put a locker in the rear and then speed would not really be an issue. just a thought, i tend to brainstorm all kinds of wacky ideas(you should see my project ranger):) so i may post more as i get them.

Thanx again

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition