To Remove Exhaust Manifold, Does The A/C Compressor Also Have To Be Removed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To Remove Exhaust Manifold, Does The A/C Compressor Also Have To Be Removed?

mlochala

Reaction score
City, State
Amory, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 engine. I have a terrible exhaust leak on the driver's side and need to remove the exhaust manifold to repair it and replace the gasket.

According to the Haynes manual, it says that I have to remove the A/C compressor to do this. Is that correct? Does that really have to be removed to get the driver's side exhaust manifold off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know for sure, but the A/C compressor is very easy to remove, at least on the 4.0 OHV V6. Serpentine belt, electrical connector and 4 bolts.

no you do not. you should be able to jack up the front take off tire remove splash guard thing not the smaller one with push pins but the bigger one that fits the entire wheel well that will give you straight access to the bolt for the manifold. to actually get the manifold out you might have to take one bolt out of the steering column thing though, and then that slides down and swings out of the way. I have the torque monster header install dvd which shows exactly how to do this. I am in the process of converting it from vcd to a newer format so i can upload it to youtube then i will show you the link.

Thank you all for the replies! I ended up plunging into the project before getting a chance to read your posts. I can tell you from personal experience that no, you DO NOT have to remove the a/c compressor to remove the driver's side exhaust manifold.

I was concerned the bolts would be rusted and would give me problems, but they were surprisingly easy to remove. The manifold itself was not so easy to remove. I had to remove all spark plugs, the oil dipstick and disconnect the fuel lines to make room to maneuver the manifold. I also had to remove what I believe was the rear bolt on the head. It probably would have been much easier to disconnect the steering column, though.

After removing the manifold, I discovered that the second pipe was completely cracked through and through and there was also a quarter sized hole in that section. I repaired it by welding the cracked and broken areas and then welding in some patchwork metal to cover the hole and add some strength back to it.

Putting it back together and replacing the stock exhaust gasket with a new one was fairly easy and I'm happy to say I'm pleased with the results. The motor sounds new again. I knew I had an exhaust leak for awhile, but I had begin hearing what I thought was some major valve/lifter issues. It must have been all related to this leak because I hear none of that now.

This is my wife's daily driver and she says she thinks that what I did restored some lost power (she drove it to church this morning while I was at work). I don't see how, but I'm glad she's happy. (Maybe it's all in her mind???)

Thanks again for the replies and the help! You guys are great!

pbnj22, I want to see that video when you get it ready. I still have some other work I need to do to this vehicle and anything like that you can share I do appreciate!

Back