To "SAS" or not to "SAS", that is the question. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To "SAS" or not to "SAS", that is the question.

zainyD said:
FROADER, can you e-mail me a copy of those awesome pics, thanks!
You could also right click and save those pics straight from this thread...

I'll pm you with some good links though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Either way I'll have to spend some money. And that's not an issue. Going back to that D30 - I would also want to install manual disconects and those things alone run about $800 per set if I remember correct. Full width D44 would look badass and 9" rear... as you can see I'm all over the place.

Cut coil perches on D30?/? wouldn't I be able to use them? and you say connect stock radius arm? now that is something.

IMO - got to remove that axle from the heep and see what the next step should be.

Dre said:
Full width D44 would look badass and 9" rear... as you can see I'm all over the place.
Yes it would look bad ass. That's the long term plan for mine.

wider also gives you more stability and more travel at the wheels.
it effectively lowers your center of gravity.
I would not cut down full width axles if I was to put them under the BII. If I felt it was tooo wide I would address the track width with the wheel I order (less backspacing)

Of all the trucks pictured above only one of them didnt have a "liftkit" on it before it went solid. That was jefe. The rest of them I believe had a TTB lift installed then later replaced with a solid axle if that tells you anything. I love my solid axle. the control and balance offroad especally in the rocks is 100 times better.

I guess I'm gonna start looking for an EB lp D44 for now or a full width hp D44 out of an F-150. What about lock outs? I think F-150 had them... what about EB?

Here's something I found on eBay... an XJ for sale sitting on full width Dana44 up front and 9" rear... kind of interesting set-up:

a9_3.jpg

that is the route I would go if I went SAS...... Save time and $$$$ and get right to the long travel with no messing around :)

That looks nice. Looks like the way to go even if I wanted to use D30 that I've got. Rubicon Express you say?

I did order their catalog allready... thanks for the tip.

Dre said:
Here's something I found on eBay... an XJ for sale sitting on full width Dana44 up front and 9" rear... kind of interesting set-up:

That's essentially what I'm doing under my Ranger as well. I have the Rubicon Express bracket kits to 4 link front and rear. It's getting an 8-lug 44 up front and a 60 out back. Should be fun.

Hey! What are you guys that are running coil overs running, and where did you get them? Spring rates, length, diameter, cost, etc., would all be handy. I could just stick in some coils (have the buckets and all) but I know that I'll eventually get to coilovers anyway, so I might as well engineer them in the first place. Thanks!

$1000? THATS NOT BAD AT ALL. Race Runners are friggin nice too..

glfredrick said:
Hey! What are you guys that are running coil overs running, and where did you get them? Spring rates, length, diameter, cost, etc., would all be handy.

Mine are very similar to Jefe's. King 2X14 with 250/350 dual rate. They came from Poly Performance. I'll have to check my receipt for price when I get home tonight, I think $1200-1500.

Jefe - which set-up did you get from Rubicon Express? and is that a full width D44 on your truck? Interesting.

I've been doing some checking, and I can get the new Rancho's with springs for about $320 a pop. That is quite a savings over what some of you guys paid, and Rancho is a good name in off-road shocks. Probably not up to King standards, but I think, for the money, they would be a good bet. I like that they retain the common RS 9000 remote control inside the cab.

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shocks/RS9000X_remoteres_coilover.stm

I already have the RE braket kit, and I'll make my own long arms, so total cost up front should be in the $800 range for me total.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dre said:
Jefe - which set-up did you get from Rubicon Express? and is that a full width D44 on your truck? Interesting.
I just bought the front arms (lower and upper) and track bar from them and made all the frame brackets myself. The D44 is custom built to TJ spec. If you read my SAS thread, you'll see that I mocked everything up using a TJ D30.

Michael said:
Mine are very similar to Jefe's. King 2X14 with 250/350 dual rate. They came from Poly Performance. I'll have to check my receipt for price when I get home tonight, I think $1200-1500.
I also bought my coil-overs from PolyPerformance, but I didn't splurge for the Kings. :eek:

Back