• Register Today It's free!

To Seafoam my V6 XLT or not?

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
What is the consensus on using Seafoam treatment by those with V6 Gen 3s? The good the bad and the ugly. Let's hear it. I have a can but I am afraid to try it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's to be afraid of? It's safe. If you're nervous about trying through a vacuum line, just run it through your gas. The effects are the same over time.

Seafoam is great stuff..no downside if used according to instructions on can..oil, gas, vacuum line...have at it. Great for sludge...

I used Seafoam on my 98 Mustang and I felt a difference immediately. It revved much faster and definitely felt lighter. Just be ready for a serious smoke show :)

I used it like 3 weeks ago and it immediately felt better

Thanks for the feedback. I did seem to hear you should wait until you are ready to change your oil before treating the engine. Once treated then drop the oil. The comments I heard were saying not to leave it in the engine for long. Any comments regarding this. Thanks.

Cleaning the intake

My upper air plenum is filled with crud from years of accumulation. I suspect the lower intake manifold is in the same condition.

I'd like to clean my intake system but I'm not willing to pollute the neighborhood to do so. Also, I don't know what effect Seafoam has on O2 sensors and catalytic converters.

I don't add anything to my fuel tank except fuel and Techron fuel injection cleaner. I won't risk clogging my injectors.

I wish that there was some way to run a cleaner thru the intake system without burning it.

I ran it through my crank case and gas tank, seemed a little better but prolly just cuz it was all in my head.

I couldnt figure out where to put it in my vacuum line but I really wanted to...
What do I do for it? What lines?

You don't need to use that stuff. Why do you wanna use it? I never used it, I can go drive a new '09 and it'll drive just line my '05. Don't buy cheap gas for one thing.

Again on the O2's and cat, that stuff does effect them negatively.

about seafoam

Seafoam is just a petroleum based solvent/cleaner. It has been well respected in the automotive repair industry for around 30 years, for good reason. It will not harm sensors, gaskets, or seals. The reasons for using it are well founded. Oil tends to leave carbon deposits on certain areas of intake, exhaust and valvetrain as it heats to a vapor and cools, also know as coking. Synthetic oil does this much less. The built up deposits slow airflow, alter the heating and cooling characteristics of valves and manifolds, and affect engine performance. Seafoam dissolves the carbon deposits-that's all the magic there is to it. It won't make it run better than new or repair engine wear and damage. Removing the carbon is possible by other means, after disassembly and lots of labor. It won't magically give your engine more power or torque than it had when new, but the removal of the carbon deposits will result in a restoration of the engines various parts to condition more like when it was new, and had little to no carbonization, which yields a gain in performance. I've used it in all my vehicles for about 18 years and recommend it to anyone. Read and follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. As far as "polluting your neighborhood", your engine will pollute less after a good Seafoam treatment, since it will be closer to original engineering specs and tuning. Just my O2.

I have heard amazing things about the product as well, I just wonder if it could plug things up since it is removing carbon build up do you think it could get stuck somewhere on its way out...if that makes sense?? Also putting it into the crankcase could it possibly create and oil leak that was plugged with buildup?

Totally off subject but does anyone know if they make a UV product to discover oil leaks like they have for cooling systems?

How much should I use ? I have 137K on my 99 SOHC engine.

I have heard amazing things about the product as well, I just wonder if it could plug things up since it is removing carbon build up do you think it could get stuck somewhere on its way out...if that makes sense?? Also putting it into the crankcase could it possibly create and oil leak that was plugged with buildup?

Totally off subject but does anyone know if they make a UV product to discover oil leaks like they have for cooling systems?

These are good questions! If you add the Seafoam to your gas tank, it does a more gradual clean of parts it comes in contact with, and the chances of it clogging any ports, sensors, etc.. is ridiculously small. This path takes it through the injectors and intake valves and manifold, and it all goes through the combustion chamber and is burned. Adding it to the crankcase, it has a more immediate effect cleaning areas contacted by oil. It's important that the oil be changed "soon", I don't leave it in longer than a few miles or about 15 minutes. I believe the Seafoam website has pretty detailed instructions.
Good luck.

How much should I use ? I have 137K on my 99 SOHC engine.

The product comes in a can of about 12 or 16 ounces-I can't remember off hand. I usually add a half a can to a full gas tank, and the other half to the top end of the motor through the brake booster vacuum line. I use the same amount in the crankcase, but I only do that about once a year, and I do the gas tank thing every six months. It cannot damage your engine if used this way, but it's great insurance against carbon build up. I just rebuilt a Mitusbishi 2.6 motor with 220k on it, and it was virtually spotless inside after using this regimen. I think you'd see great results with so many miles on the ticker. An investment of $8 is cheap insurance towards keeping your engine clean and efficient.
Cheers

So the vaccum lines would probably not be a good idea? If you pour it in your gas will you still has smoke out of the tail pipe, whod want to drive through a whole tank of gasoline and smoke out the city lol?

I ran it through my crank case and gas tank, seemed a little better but prolly just cuz it was all in my head.

I couldnt figure out where to put it in my vacuum line but I really wanted to...
What do I do for it? What lines?

I normally use the brake vacuum booster line-it's big so there's a lot of suction, and it's pretty easy to get to. Just remember to add it fairly slowly-I use half a can and it takes about 45 seconds to let it suck it in. Kill the motor immediately after it's all in, let it sit about 8 minutes and fire it up. It may run roughly for a few minutes while all the crap gets burned through the combustion chambers. Also, make sure the engine is at normal operating temps when you do this procedure, and check your spark plugs some time after the engine cools down. On high mileage engines they can get gunked up with the cleaned out carbon.
Good luck

So the vaccum lines would probably not be a good idea? If you pour it in your gas will you still has smoke out of the tail pipe, whod want to drive through a whole tank of gasoline and smoke out the city lol?

Adding it to your gas tank will not produce a smoke screen! It's a kinder, gentler process than the vacuum line option. You are diluting the small amount in full tank usually, so it does it's thing more slowly and less drastically. However, the vacuum line application produces immediate improvement, if there is improvement to be had-this all depends on how much carbon is lurking in your motors delicate inner parts. The vacuum line method cleans the top-cylinder parts generally speaking, like intake valves and manifold runners, etc...Carbon likes to build up on valves, especially intake because they are pretty warm when hit by a highpressure blast of cooler gasoline, which vaporizes and leaves behind carbon and varnish. Cheap gas leaves more deposits than a good brand and grade.
Hope this helps.

I think I may try it. I always ran 87 in my X but for about the past 2 months I run strictly 91, whats and extra 60 or so bucks a year. What do you think about half a bottle in the vacuum line and half in the tank? Maybe crank case later after i find where my oil leak is so i can fix it first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, I talked to a co-worker who is a good mechanic. He said if I do the Seafoam into the vacuum lines and in the crankcase that I should be prepared to drop the oil pan and clean any filter screen and the oil pump if I had a lot of sludge in my engine. He also said the oxygen sensors might need to be replaced. He did say it cleaned really well, but you just need to deal with the junk that comes out and the affect on other parts. He said to just pour it in the gas tank and let it work slow. Any feedback on this anyone? Let's hear comments regarding this. Thanks.

Back