To the moon and back in my 2000 XLT SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To the moon and back in my 2000 XLT SOHC

Zenonb

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hello All,
I was inspired when I heard a version of this story listening to a radio commercial for Toyota trucks.
The distance from the earth to the moon is about 238,857 miles. My 2000 XLT SOHC has 241,239 miles on it. I consider it to have taken me to the moon, and now we need to get back home. My goal is to drive my Ex 477,714 miles. It looks almost as good as new, and I would like to keep it looking good as long as I keep it.
It has led an easy life as a commuter vehicle in Southern California. I drive 42 miles each way to work. My daily commute is almost entirely on interstate highways traveling between 70 and 80 mph. The only thing that I have replaced under the hood is one set of manifold gaskets, one set of plugs and wires and two thermostats. I use dinosaur oil and change it every 4,000 miles.
I would like to hear from owners of high mileage Exs. What is your story? I would like to know what you are doing to keep yours running in terms of replacing things that wear out and pm.
I have accumulated 241K miles in about 4800 hours. I am wondering if anyone knows how to quantify wear as a function of operating hours rather than miles.

Thanks

I'm not trying to argue your mathematics, but you are saying your average speed in the Explorer has been about 50mph over the life of the truck?

I drive A LOT of highway to/from work and school @ 70-75mph, and every time my ScanguageII gives my average speed at about 25-30mph per tank. Granted, I've only done it for about 2 years.

Again, I'm not arguing it, I'm just saying if you can keep that average up there, that's impressive and IMHO I think you've got a real shot at getting that SOHC to 477,000 miles!

so high....

Hello All,
I was inspired when I heard a version of this story listening to a radio commercial for Toyota trucks.
The distance from the earth to the moon is about 238,857 miles. My 2000 XLT SOHC has 241,239 miles on it. I consider it to have taken me to the moon, and now we need to get back home. My goal is to drive my Ex 477,714 miles. It looks almost as good as new, and I would like to keep it looking good as long as I keep it.
It has led an easy life as a commuter vehicle in Southern California. I drive 42 miles each way to work. My daily commute is almost entirely on interstate highways traveling between 70 and 80 mph. The only thing that I have replaced under the hood is one set of manifold gaskets, one set of plugs and wires and two thermostats. I use dinosaur oil and change it every 4,000 miles.
I would like to hear from owners of high mileage Exs. What is your story? I would like to know what you are doing to keep yours running in terms of replacing things that wear out and pm.
I have accumulated 241K miles in about 4800 hours. I am wondering if anyone knows how to quantify wear as a function of operating hours rather than miles.

Thanks

i too have heard about the distance to the moon...and depending on the time of year it can get as far away as 260,000 miles and as close as 238,000 miles. not sure where it stands now (may 4th). But i took this pic april 18th...and i've pretty muched bragged to my buddies about my mileage...all their vehicles have half my miles and mad amounts of problems and mechanic shop bills! (whereas i do it myself)
DSCF5709.jpg

as for maintenance...i change oil every 3 or 4 months. My commute to work is 80 miles roundtrip from Charlotte to Columbia, SC 4days a week. Probably 1 or 2 trips to Charleston a month (300miles roundtrip). a ton of trips to the lake house (100 miles roundtrip). Towing a 5seater seadoo speedster...towing a trailer with 3dirtbikes and a generator, and a ton or random miles around the city. havent gotten into the precise MPG yet...want to...but havent yet. I kinda estimate for the time being. One water pump...two thermostats...one battery...new radiator. Nothing extremely expensive yet. Needs an allignment and ball joints im pretty sure. But the most time i spend on my truck is detailing. detail detail detail. My wife and friends say it looks better than a new vehicle off the lot...after a wash and speedshine. A lot of Griot and 3M product! I love keeping this truck looking sharp, shiney, and clean. Its my pride and joy. Fun to drive. Still comfy. Its an everyday truck.
DSCF5952-1.jpg

So about the moon....i dont have a mileage goal...but i have this thought in my head that i can possibly have this truck forever. I'm almost beyond the moons furthest position. When i reach 260,000 miles i'll be happy...and any mileage after that will be a bonus. I mean...any problem that comes along can be fixed. Right?
misc022.jpg

DSCF5947.jpg

DSCF5952-1.jpg

Of all the people on this forum...i wonder who literally has the most miles. With an everyday type of explorer ya know? How many miles do you have to this day Zenonb??? Brandon???
Keep it up guys!
1999 SOHC XLT by th' way...

Wow man, that Ex is looking great for that many miles. What do you use on the black plastic areas to keep them looking so good? I've tried a couple products that work for a little while, but they quickly come back to their faded grey stage. Any help would be great!

Back