? to those with TT and shackles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

? to those with TT and shackles

I am planning on doing the torsion twist and the warrior shackles in due time. I am going to be getting new A/T tires (either BFG All Terrain or the Bridgestone REVOs) to mount on the factory 16 in wheels. I was just gonna ask what size tires are you guys running? I think 285 75 would be awesome but i think they will rub. anybody know about this? the other two sizes were 265 75 and 275 70. What size tires are you TT and shackle guys using?? I am just trying to get other options and answers before i am going to spend the money on tires. Thank you in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

285s might be pushing it... they are close to a 33... you might still be able to fit them though if you dont mind trimming plastic

yea 285 75 16 are real close to 33s if not over. i doubt they will fit without rubbing. i would need a body lift and thats just not in my plans for now. im fairly certain 275 70 or 265 75 will fit no problem. im just not sure which size would be better. 265 is cheaper after all. thanks for your comments!

I have a 98 Sport and even 265/75/16 (31.6") required a bit of plastic trimming to avoid rubbing the inside front fenders in turns and the rear wheels still rub vertically on full flex (opposite wheel off the ground).

Obviously, your results may vary quite a bit... but 265/75 are at least a safe choice. I think my next set will be bigger... but I'll probably also switch to wheels with less backspacing and be prepared to cut some metal :)

Xplorer12686 said:
yea 285 75 16 are real close to 33s if not over. i doubt they will fit without rubbing. i would need a body lift and thats just not in my plans for now. im fairly certain 275 70 or 265 75 will fit no problem. im just not sure which size would be better. 265 is cheaper after all. thanks for your comments!

I have 255/70/16's, no trimming done, no rubbing. It does not look as if anything larger would fit without some sort of mod, trimming or otherwise.

It'll Work

I did the same thing when i started with my explorer. With only the TT/shackle lift i was able to fit 285/75/16 BFG ATs on 16x8 crawlers. I did a tiny bit of plastic trimming, but after that they were fine. I got tired of it being so low though, so i sprang for the 3" body lift and a 4" superlift and 35s. Have fun.

A Sport and a Sport Trac (or any other Ex) are totally different. From what I've seen, Sport Tracs typically fit a much larger tire stock than Sports do.

tmh6202 said:
I have 255/70/16's, no trimming done, no rubbing. It does not look as if anything larger would fit without some sort of mod, trimming or otherwise.

That's the stock size; u should be able to go up a little bit over that at least.

jayhawkexplorer said:
That's the stock size; u should be able to go up a little bit over that at least.

I know it is the stock size, I am saying that it doesn't look as if anything much larger will fit without rubbing on the inside of the fender well. From the looks of it, anything larger would rub when the wheels are turned stop to stop.

I ran 30 x 9.50's when I was at that lift height and had to do some minor trimming to the plastic on the rocker skirts (tupperware) as well as the bumper cover to prevent rubbing when offroad. I had very minimal rub on road.

With 5" lift and 33's I had to trim close to an inch and a half of sheet metal. The tupperware went to the dump.

i could easly fit 32s with now rubbing and 33x9s with little triming.

my 31s have alot of room.

Back