Tongue Weight / Towing / Motorcycle Carrier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tongue Weight / Towing / Motorcycle Carrier

XCAMP

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005, XLT
Hey guys, I searched a lot and haven't come up with any really good info, so thought I would ask...

• I have a DRZ400SM motorcycle with a wet weight of 300 pounds.
  • I just ordered a class 3 hitch rated at 500 pounds at the tongue.
  • I was hoping to buy a motorcycle hitch carrier and put the bike directly on the back of the explorer, but not sure if it's too much and if I should just bite the bullet and go with a trailer instead (which means more expensive, and needs registration, tags, title, etc).
  • I have a 2005 explorer, V6, 4X4. I have towed a rather large trailer, that I borrowed to get the bike, on the stock class 2 and it did awesome.

I look forward to your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man, just got it and it's a big change from the CBR600 I had previously. I look forward to ripping up some fire roads.

I read a few things on the net about the payload capacity on these 3rd gens being misleading and very low. The motorcycle carrier is so much easier than a trailer, so hoping it works out.

Cool bike I have the 400S model without the 18's they are way too much fun on the street..

I have a carrier that I use to carry my bike on my mounty it works great. Although I do have air shocks in the back for towing which greatly helps to balance out the load.

It's a lightweight bike you will be fine.

500lbs shouldn't be much of an issue, it will however squat the back of the truck. If you had a 1st or 2nd gen, I'd say put some additional springs/air bags between the axle and the frame to counter this. Don't know if there is anything you can do with the IRS of a 05.

You'll be fine, a 300lb bike isn't going to make the back end sag on the 4x4. Considering you likely have the factory "rake" where the rear sits higher..it is designed to tow loads on the hitch and balance the truck while towing.

I have towed heavy boats and trailers with more than 300lb tongue weight when mine was stock...and it was more than fine, no sag.

Thanks so much guys, just what I needed to know!

Back