• Register Today It's free!

Too Late to Order 2016?

bbag88

Reaction score
City, State
AG, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie & 2016 Limited
Just ordered a 2016 Limited today... should be pulled tomorrow... build date in a few weeks... delivery by the middle of June... We'll see if it works!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to posters on this board, today was the last day to get an order in for a 2016 so it looks like you just made it. Also, the timeline might be a little quicker than you posted. I ordered one three weeks ago and the ETA for it to arrive at the dealership is May 8th.

We ordered March 21st and estimated delivery is May 28th.

I ordered March 7 arrived at the dealer on 4/12 and I just picked mine up on 4/14. 5 weeks and a day. Hope you all have such a quick turnaround. I was expecting it to take longer but happy to take it early.

Wife and I ordered a 2016 Limited today. I and the sales guy were both surprised we still could. No ETA expected for a while but will be stunned if it doesn't arrive well before July when the present incentives end. She currently drives an 03 Eddie Bauer with 150,000 miles that's still running well and being handed along to our eldest who *should* get a license in July. It was the only way to get the colors and options she wanted. Purchased for about $800 under invoice, not including any rebates, and intend to take $500 plus 0%APR when it arrives. Figured that was a decent deal, and didn't have time to haggle much.

Wife and I ordered a 2016 Limited today. I and the sales guy were both surprised we still could. No ETA expected for a while but will be stunned if it doesn't arrive well before July when the present incentives end. She currently drives an 03 Eddie Bauer with 150,000 miles that's still running well and being handed along to our eldest who *should* get a license in July. It was the only way to get the colors and options she wanted. Purchased for about $800 under invoice, not including any rebates, and intend to take $500 plus 0%APR when it arrives. Figured that was a decent deal, and didn't have time to haggle much.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
From what I've read, the fact that you could still place and order doesn't necessarily guaranty that it will go through as a 2016. If there is any change, your dealership should be notified. I'd wait until a VIN is issued to ensure the order will indeed be a 2016. Good luck. My dealer's last 2016 build is May 16th.

Peter

At that rate at least we won't be waiting long to get some news. Final assembly plant is less than 100 miles away, but no public tours :( Thanks for the info and the welcome, I'll post an update when I hear more.

We just got our VIN (ordered last Wednesday) with a build date for the week of May 30th. Do you think it will be here by the end of June???? We'll find out!

We just got our VIN (ordered last Wednesday) with a build date for the week of May 30th. Do you think it will be here by the end of June???? We'll find out!
Congrats. It will likely be one of the last of the 2016 builds seeing as how the 2017 models are slated to start production June 6th. I think there's a good chance you'll see it by the end of June.:thumbsup:

Peter

Congrats. It will likely be one of the last of the 2016 builds seeing as how the 2017 models are slated to start production June 6th. I think there's a good chance you'll see it by the end of June.:thumbsup:

Peter

Great news is that I'll have owned it for a week and it will already be last years' model :)

Maybe I'll get a discount?

Great news is that I'll have owned it for a week and it will already be last years' model :)

Maybe I'll get a discount?

Yeah with production ending June 5 it should only be a matter of transit time. I'm guessing we could still order well past the official date because they want to keep production filled until June. Whatever the reason we will gladly take one of the last 2016 models for a discount over a 2017 with a much better infotainment system. We're fairly close to the plant, so hoping for little transit time but who knows.

2016 Limited Ordered on March 28th didn't make the cut

My parents ordered a 2016 Limited Explorer on March 28th.
The dealer just notified us almost 4 weeks later on April 22 that our order didn't make the cut. What's up with that?

The dealer just notified us almost 4 weeks later on April 22 that our order didn't make the cut. What's up with that?

It could have something to do with allotment. My dealer had one allotment left and so I got it and it was ordered super quick... without the allotment, my order would not have gone through.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more posts like yours coming up.

Peter

So far I've got an email from the dealer saying our order was accepted (April 20, five days after ordering). I don't take that as a guarantee, but promising.

It seems logical that between the "official" end date for ordering and the actual close of 2016 production that Ford would continue taking orders based on filling the production schedule and using up inventory of 2016 components. It could be something as simple as running low on the polished aluminum wheels versus the painted aluminum. If something isn't carrying over directly to the 2017 models, and they run out parts, they're not going to build the vehicle.

Fingers crossed that ours really goes through. . .

One of two things happened. Dealer didn't have any more allocation to have one built OR your parents chose a combination that was no longer available. I had explained earlier that as you start to approach the end of life of a model year, certain parts become unavailable (it is called "balancing out"). They order X amount of this and X amount of that in anticipation. Could come down to paint color, moon roof availability, polished rims, 2nd console, bucket seats etc etc.

So lets say your parents ordered a white Sport with moonroof and they balanced out all moonroofs (all moonroofs were spoken for on builds prior to this one), then your parents order gets kicked because they don't have any more to complete the build.

This is exactly why I had said earlier that just because you place an order towards the end that there is no guarantee that it will be built. That is the risk you take.

One of two things happened. Dealer didn't have any more allocation to have one built OR your parents chose a combination that was no longer available. I had explained earlier that as you start to approach the end of life of a model year, certain parts become unavailable (it is called "balancing out"). They order X amount of this and X amount of that in anticipation. Could come down to paint color, moon roof availability, polished rims, 2nd console, bucket seats etc etc.

So lets say your parents ordered a white Sport with moonroof and they balanced out all moonroofs (all moonroofs were spoken for on builds prior to this one), then your parents order gets kicked because they don't have any more to complete the build.

This is exactly why I had said earlier that just because you place an order towards the end that there is no guarantee that it will be built. That is the risk you take.

Most likely it was an innocent problem with dealer allocation or parts shortage, but one time my parents ordered an Explorer on the A-Plan from a small dealership the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and when it came in the dealer sold it to a full paying non-A plan buyer instead. Needless to say they haven't gone back to that dealer since. The thought crossed my mind that this could have happened again this time because their order had been in for like 26 days.

Got our VIN, also scheduled for week of May 30. Our dealer just received one quite similar to ours that was built April 19, so only about a week after production. Hoping to see ours in mid June.

Update:

Ordered April 15
Received order confirmation from dealer April 20
Received VIN April 23
Finally showed up in COTUS on May 24
Built June 1 (COTUS link for VIN *still* does nothing)
Received at dealer on June 6 (COTUS still says awaiting shipment, LOL)

Funny thing, if you search dealer inventory, click on any random window sticker link, and replace the VIN with ours, you get the VIN pdf. Ford's COTUS leaves much to be desired.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are you located? I'm out on the west coast between LA and SF. I had a buil date of June 1st with expected delivery of June 21.

Back