Took off intake manifold. I have a question with picture | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took off intake manifold. I have a question with picture

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
I took off my intake manifold today to get to my fuel injectors.

well looks like I have lots of oil and crud throughout the intake . all of my intake ports were dark with oil except one. Anyone have any ideas why?. Is it a leaky injector or intake?

Look at right bank furthest intake port.
2 pics attached

Attachments

• 053108_14081.jpg
    053108_14081.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 724
  • 053108_14111.jpg
    053108_14111.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 745

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clean it up and put a set of intake gaskets on it. nake sure the ports on the upper plenum are in good shape too.

Now you know why everyone is always talking about seafoam on this site. It is normal with a PCV system to have carbon buildup. But Al Gore says we need to do it, and I think it's a good thing so it just means you need to take care perform maintainance on the intake more often. This is part of why Highway trips are great for an engine, getting that thing wamred up completely and opened up will do wonders to keep the engine running clean.

As stated I would try to clean as much out of there as possible, us a shop vac to suck the loose stuff out. Put it back together and do a seafoam treatment, follow the instructions on this board. Oh and take the time to clean the IAC and the TB, also now it a great time to clean the MAFS. Then take that thing out on a nice long highway trip to burn all the gunk out. You may actually want to do 2 seafoam treatments :thumbsup:

if he has an 2002 explorer and it's that bad, i'm scared to think of what mine will look like...

Just realized that is the port closest to the intake from the PCV valve. Looks like its getting a nice fresh supply of oil. The oil buildup felt like sandpaper. It was hard to scrape off. I had my intake in the bathtub last night cleaning it. I put in the new gaskets before It went back onto truck. I cleaned the intake area as best I could. All the holes had paper in them to keep out debris.

My injectors were all cleaned and received o-rings. My MAF, throttle body and IAC were all cleaned too.

Each injectors spent 6x 8 minutes cleaning cycles with the water close to 150degrees Fahrenheit. I manually pulsed them now and then while cleaning (used 9-volt battery and some wire). I used a 3/8inch inside diameter clean hose to help fill injector with oil after cleaning. I pulsed the injector and manually blew into the clear hose filled with oil until it came out of the tip. I did this to keep the inside from oxidizing. MAF and IAC were easy. The IAC was black inside and came out looking new.

This is what I used to clean them.
It is a Ultrasonic cleaner with built in heater. It will keep the liquid close to 150degrees Fahrenheit (hot ouch).

Thanks for the tips guys :thumbsup:

I do lots of local driving. I need like 5 gallons of seafoam...lol .

Attachments

• DSCF6240.jpg
    DSCF6240.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 649
  • DSCF6254.jpg
    DSCF6254.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 642
  • DSCF6234.jpg
    DSCF6234.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 637
  • DSCF6186.jpg
    DSCF6186.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 653

Here is my line of defense against the dreaded oil. I will run this intake with seafoam next week and then change the plugs..

Sorry its blurry from my camera phone.

I used a oil/water seperator made by husky. It cost about $12 from home Depot.
The hose is heater class with 5/8 inside diameter. On the 2002 the PCV comes out of the left valve cover and goes directly into the intake. It looks like one pice of molded hose but it is not. You can pull them 90degree ends off which makes life tons easier. I just connected them ends to my 5/8id hose with a heating hose splicer
mei2610.JPG

I connected the hose to the filter via 2x 90egree 1/4 fittings and 2 barbed hose fittings. The heater hose was a little too large for the outside diameter of the barbed fittins, so I first put a smaller diameter hose around the barb to build it up, then slipped the 5/8id hose over that. It worked fine.

Lets see home much oil it collects.

Attachments

• 060108_19262.jpg
    060108_19262.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 631

Thats what happens with Race Trac gas

Nice cleaner, were did you pick that up, and how much was it if you don't mind me asking. I could think of so many uses for something like that.

BTW.. all that oil may not be all bad, well the buildup is bad, but the oil going into the valves is good, it keeps things lubed up and smooth. Think of it as a way to lube the top end.

I will be curious how that separator works, and the results on your engine. You did an awesome job on those injectors, great idea to use the 9v battery :thumbsup: I've always used a DC power supply, although 9v may be a little high since I think the injectors are all 5v. That IAC looks awesome, was that a result of the US cleaner or did you clean that by hand?

looking good:thumbsup: and I bet your truck runs much better.

Nice cleaner, were did you pick that up, and how much was it if you don't mind me asking. I could think of so many uses for something like that.

BTW.. all that oil may not be all bad, well the buildup is bad, but the oil going into the valves is good, it keeps things lubed up and smooth. Think of it as a way to lube the top end.

I will be curious how that separator works, and the results on your engine. You did an awesome job on those injectors, great idea to use the 9v battery :thumbsup: I've always used a DC power supply, although 9v may be a little high since I think the injectors are all 5v. That IAC looks awesome, was that a result of the US cleaner or did you clean that by hand?

looking good:thumbsup: and I bet your truck runs much better.
I bought it from Harbor Frieght for $80. I could have gotten one from ebay, but I like dealing with a big place like Harbor Freight. Later on if I have issues it won't bite me in the butt with returns and exchanges.

I knew the 9v was high so I kept the pulses to a bare minimum. I did it to get the oil out the other end so the injector remained lubed.

I just put the IAC in the cleaner and ran her for 3 cycles each 8 minutes long with the water temp close to 130 degrees (heater option). IT looks new inside afterwards. And since the item comes out so hot it dries quickly after all the excess water is wiped up.

When I started her up it shook a lot and I was scared that I somehow killed an injector...lol. Turns out I missed a vacuum. Throttle is nice and responds way better than before. I definitely have to change my spark plugs after some Seafoam.

I did make one boo boo. I forgot totally to measure the resistance of my injectors...DOH!. I read the manual so many times and still forgot. I was bedazzled by the Ultrasonic cleaner....lol. Oh yeah I put my Mass Airflow sensor in the cleaner also. IT worked great. You can see stuff come off that is not visible with normal inspection.

Note: I didn't use any type of cleaner solution. I just used water . I added drop of dish soap and then the cleaning comes alive. Water alone is not good for cavitation in such a small cleaner of this caliber. IMO it is a great little item. You can even pull spark plugs and clean them up if needed. I have already experimented with lots of stuff with it...lol. I cleaned a throttle body I bought from ebay (wrong one) with it.

Thanks! After I saw the injectors I was surprised how clean they were..lol. All without me touching them.

Here are the injectors before.

Attachments

• DSCF6232.jpg
    DSCF6232.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 604
  • DSCF6233.jpg
    DSCF6233.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 608

Here is my line of defense against the dreaded oil. I will run this intake with seafoam next week and then change the plugs..

Sorry its blurry from my camera phone.

I used a oil/water seperator made by husky. It cost about $12 from home Depot.
The hose is heater class with 5/8 inside diameter. On the 2002 the PCV comes out of the left valve cover and goes directly into the intake. It looks like one pice of molded hose but it is not. You can pull them 90degree ends off which makes life tons easier. I just connected them ends to my 5/8id hose with a heating hose splicer
mei2610.JPG

I connected the hose to the filter via 2x 90egree 1/4 fittings and 2 barbed hose fittings. The heater hose was a little too large for the outside diameter of the barbed fittins, so I first put a smaller diameter hose around the barb to build it up, then slipped the 5/8id hose over that. It worked fine.

Lets see home much oil it collects.

x2 on that. I just installed one on my Ex about 500 miles ago and I've already collected a measureable amount of oil. Since I just had everything cleaned about 1000 miles ago, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Really wow. Shoot us a pic. I wonder how much oil mine will collect. Did you clean everything yourself?

I'll try and post a pic tonight.

I didn't do the cleaning myself, though. I had a persistent CEL and after changing plugs, cables and intake seals I was beyond what I felt comfortable doing so I went to the dealership. I paid way too much, but at least they didn't try to say that my non-OEM plugs and wires were the cause. In fact they said that it looked like I had a recent tune-up and that stuff was OK.

What was the problem with the CEL?

What was the problem with the CEL?

I had a lean condition code (can't remember which one) that I just couldn't solve. They wound up cleaning injectors and everything. The first problem which I did solve though was a broken spark plug.

trucku.. is this something hard to do?
Would you mind making $ and helping me out do my truck?

No its not hard to do. Sure I would help you out :thumbsup:

Has their been any changes to the engine or intake since my year to yours?

Really wow. Shoot us a pic. I wonder how much oil mine will collect. Did you clean everything yourself?

This was captured after only about 800 miles of highway driving :eek:

Oil Seperator 001.jpg

Oil Seperator 002.jpg

I'd guess a good tablespoon, plus. I'm definitely glad I did this mod!

wow... thanks for the pic. That is really great. Excellent results for a good mod.

I can't wait to see how much mine collects. Friday I have a 140mile round trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back