TOOK UPPER INTAKE OFF....NO PAPER GASKET THERE?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TOOK UPPER INTAKE OFF....NO PAPER GASKET THERE??

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
So I'm finally getting around to doing upper intake gasketS ....kit has two paper (one for above fuel rail...the other for below fuel rail....plus the rubber inserts (for lack of better term...see pic)
So as title states I just got it all apart and there is NOT a paper gasket on existing setup for on top of fuel rail / in between upper intk... Although ALL kits have TWO paper gaskets for this job--implying of course there is suppose to be one installed here!....some (as stated in other post) don't even come with rubber inserts...but always have the two paper gaskets-- for my 95 specs.
I'm planning on putting one there NOW.... what do YOU 4.0 ohv guys say about this? ...input ? Put it on or just replace rubber seals like I found it ??
MASO....as you noticed this is your pic...what was the setup on yours??

FUEL RAIL.jpg

GASKETS.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'll pass along a helpful tidbit I can across for one part of this whole procedure....and that is disconnecting fuel injector clips - which due to positioning-access / Fords poor design and brittleness from age are prone to crack attempting to take off.
Video here:

Gotta say....don't enjoy saying this either, but this forum is not very helpful....I guess it's mainly 5.0 guy's at this point... I have other questions but since my basic questions are not being addressed I wont bother....

Gotta say....don't enjoy saying this either, but this forum is not very helpful....I guess it's mainly 5.0 guy's at this point... I have other questions but since my basic questions are not being addressed I wont bother....

Wow..your post isn't even 12 hrs old yet and you're giving up on the forum.
This forum can be very helpful. I've found plenty of information here.
I haven't replied to your question because I haven't had to remove my upper plenum yet and have no information for you.

But...do what you gotta do....

I think half a day isn’t time to start complaining about your post being answered. There’s a huge wealth of knowledge here on every configuration of RBV built.

Someone will chime in shortly, I’m sure. Relax.

Unfortunately, however, I am a 5.0 guy, and can’t answer this specific question.

Is it possible it’s ever been apart?

Sorry...had to vent a bit....vent over...
At this point I'm going to install the cardboard gasket there ..can't imagine previous owner/mechanic intentionally left it out but don't care at this point.
And on other issue the "rubber inserts" (circled in red above) which I've read are the "main culprits" that fail on these ohv's ...well my intake apparently doesn't even take them (either...?!) ....at a glance one would assume the grooves on the underside of intake are "these" inserts (see pic)....well no....on MINE they are just molded plastic grooves to aid in sealing of intake in general....thought maybe they stiffened up a bit but no...they are just plastic grooves....like at throttle body contact point. So no gaskets whatsoever - cardboard or rubber inserts were on mine (between upper intk and fuel)
Oh...and P.S.....the normally nightmare EGR tube popped out of mine no problem (no need to go through headache detaching near egr valve/dipstick...just pre-soaked with some silicone spray...and the tube curves inside intake a couple inches...just need to angle intake and slide off...
INTAKE CONTACT POINT.jpg

Ok I spent some time looking and all the manual says is " install the seal "
Also a little spray copper gasket sealer or Indian head will help the paper gasket seal a long time

Sorry I'm a shoc guy

I spent 5 minutes on RA and found these on closeout.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=125558&cc=1119642&jsn=522
I think I will hurry and get me some before they are gone. I'm looking at a picture but I don't think these would be paper. Maybe made of graphite. It looks like the sealing rings are made on them and I don't know if the uppers are in the top part of the picture and the lowers in the bottom but it also appears to me that the lower set has extra seal rings where the bolts would go through. It also comes with a little tube of sealer and possibly directions. I'm going to put some in my shopping cart now. I have 3 4.0 OHV '91,'92','94. 2 4.0 SOHC and one 5.0 powered Explorers and an extra drivetrain for a 4.0 OHV A4LD powered Explorer.
Don't be so quick to give up on your Explorer Brothers!

NO GASKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy smokes
The plastic upper plenum is sealed to the fuel rail with the O rings
There is NO GASKET the O rings are the gasket

I would have answered this sooner IF:
My stepson did not have emergency surgery and now stage 4 cancer so we are all caring for him at the house and doing extra work to pick up the slack. PLus Last week we had 6' of snow fall.....
My polaris ACE (tires), Polaris 450ho (snow tracks), Polaris Ranger 6 seater (snow tracks), and my Bronco II (lockers, 35's) were not ALL stuck in the deep snow.
The plow truck did not snap the dana 50 TTB beam into two pieces blocking the road and causing me to try and go around getting all these other vehicles stuck in the deep snow
I spent the evening on a bulldozer with a flashlight (headlights are out) moving snow so we can get around the broken plow truck
You see life happens
Be patient!! sheesh

Any intake that is plastic, where it meets the metal will use O Rings, not a paper gasket

Your gasket kit will come with extra gaskets sometimes because the earlier models with the metal upper intake does use two gaskets....but not the plastic intakes.

Replace the O rings, clean the plastic surfaces before you install new O rings. Install new O rings into their grooves with a light coat of vaseline or assembly lube
Clean the top of the fuel rail, spotless, wipe clean of any oils from your fingers, etc Carb cleaner works awesome.
Now install the upper plenum and torque in sequence carefully!!

You should also replace the large green EGR gasket and use plenty of vaseline or assembly lube on that bad boy so the egr tube slips tight into its groove

Great time to remove your fuel rail and replace the injector O rings also, test and clean the injectors, etc...also a great time to replace your prone to leak when they get older lower intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets :)

No matter what you think about your plastic upper intake there ARE O rings in there, yours are probably dried up and hard as a rock....use a pick, they will come out of their holes.
You NEED to replace those 6ea O rings.......there are recessed grooves in the intake to accept them........(.I have replaced 50+ 4.0 OHV intakes and gasket sets in my days so I'm qualified to answer, this job takes me 30 minutes total)

FYI the picture at the top of this thread of the OHV engine is one of my engines in my old house shop........you will find pictures from my builds all over the RBV forums....

Have a nice day, hope this helps and you didn't have to watch 12 minutes of some youtube video just to find out the info you seek isn't in there...... Long live EF!!!!!!!!!

@410Fortune , I almost tagged you in this, I’m glad I didn’t, sounds like you’ve had more than your share to deal with.

One thing I’ve learned with big snow is that as soon as you get behind, things start breaking.
Stay warm, and take care of your family, man.

Plastic intakes get the rubber seals, aluminum get the paper/felt seal. This info is pretty easy to find by using the search function. In future you need to be patient, this isn't a help desk with live chat. Even if you can't be patient don't take it out on us.

Also, all caps in a title is usually excessive and is considered yelling or screaming.

My only point is life happens....what I gave is just a small example of what can be going on with members from this forum, on a Sunday....I know most of you were probably watching the two NFL games to see who's going to the Superbow!!! Sometimes you gotta wait a little bit to get the information you seek! But the information is out there, you can search for it or wait for answers or both.....either way patience is a virtue
Patience makes for a better mechanic also, you cannot be a good mechanic if your nerves are always racked!!

All plastic intake plenums use rubber O rings where they meet the metal engine, this is true among all platforms and manufactures, not just our 95+ Explorers and RBV's!!

Back