Tool to remove engine cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tool to remove engine cover?

myrrh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Limited
My 2002 Explorer's engine cover (V8) is held on with four socket head cap screws, but instead of a hex head (for an Allen wrench), the head socket is square. I've never seen anything like this.

What tool is made for this? I guess I could try a flat blade screwdriver and I may do that, but I also want to know out of curiosity.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

an 8 point socket head is all thats required.

EDIT:

WAIT: the SOCKET is square? thats pretty easy to come by, check out sears or anywhere else for a square drive set. auto parts warehouse likely wont have anything.

What is an 8 point socket head? I know what an 8-point socket is but I do not know about an 8 point socket head.

Square drive sets I find go up to only #3 or #4. A #4 is 0.1895" and the socket on my Explorer is 0.25"

Doesn't anyone know about a tool for a 2002 engine cover?

Square drive sets I find go up to only #3 or #4. A #4 is 0.1895" and the socket on my Explorer is 0.25"

Doesn't anyone know about a tool for a 2002 engine cover?

I use a 1/4" regular ratchet extension to take the cover off my v8 continental. Should be the same. Very simple ;)

I use a 1/4" regular ratchet extension to take the cover off my v8 continental. Should be the same. Very simple

I already tried that. The 1/4" extension fits if I apply A LOT of pressure. Then once the screw is removed, I cannot get it off the extension. I suspect the socket is tapered just like the standard #1, #2, etc. square drive screws/bits are.

I called my local mechanic (the owner of the shop) who has worked on this vehicle before and he thinks I'm crazy. The owner then asked the guys in the shop and they did not know what I was talking about.

I'm calling a Ford dealership tomorrow.

keep us posted! Maybe try a wobble 1/4 extension, they have a bit of a different shape

I've always just used a flat head screwdriver. Works fine and easy to come by.

Mines is held on by two 7/16" nuts that attaches to two threaded studs on the front. The rear is held onto the engine with two ball studs on the engine that engages two soft cup receptacles under the cover. Mines is factory installed. My vehicle is a 2003 model early 9/02 production. A square in the head of a screw is a Robertson, so you need either a Robertson bit or screwdriver.

I'm missing the nut and bolts what size are they 2002 explorer V 8
Thank you

Ummm guys... The four nuts for the V8 cover are 1/4" square drive nuts.. Just stick a good extension, not a nicked up and ruined one, and you're set.

Mine where missing, I called Ford, she said they are M6-1. Went to Do It Center got
them. The head size was 13/32 .

an 8 point socket head is all thats required.

EDIT:

WAIT: the SOCKET is square? thats pretty easy to come by, check out sears or anywhere else for a square drive set. auto parts warehouse likely wont have anything.

Thank you

Ummm guys... The four nuts for the V8 cover are 1/4" square drive nuts.. Just stick a good extension, not a nicked up and ruined one, and you're set.

Thanks you all for the help:)

Back