• Register Today It's free!

Toolbox mounting tips?

ckomai

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I want to mount a toolbox in the rear compartment. I pulled the carpet so I can weld or bolt it. Looking for tips on how to mount it? Im prerunning not rock crawling. Essential tools? How to keep tools from flying around?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been thinking of doing something similar at some point, would also be interested in seeing what people have done :D

What I did was mount two M-80 ammo cans to the deck, through the carpet (vibration isolation). I used 4 stainless 3/8" bolts and fender washers above and below for each box, to spread out the force a bit on the sheet metal.

I do more highway/rock crawling than prerunning, so if I were you I would mount whatever you put on with a backing plate below the sheet metal to further disperse the force on the body; that metal just isn't designed to be pulled on.

Want Pics?

yeah good idea on the backing plate. The last thing I need is a toolbox flying around inside my cab. Do you do anything inside the box to keep things from rattling around? some pics would be great.

Right now I have my toolbox mounted via a tow strap to the factory cargo hooks, I'm very interested to see a better way to do this as well :)

Generally I don't keep a huge toolbox in my cars because it takes up weight and space, but in my 92 I might not make it very far without one

I have the two boxes packed so tight that there isn't any rattle. One has emergency gear, the other has recovery gear. It is all a jumble at the moment, as I've been using the X as a work truck for Telecom.... so everything is buried under way too many tools and supplies.

I do need to dig it out and organize it, and when I do, I will grab a few pics for ya!

Tool bags, stuffed full, no rattling, no vibration, easily held down with a ratchet strap.

If you're really prerunning in your explorer its probably going to have shock hoops through the rear floor, so mounting a huge tool box there might not work.

Back